[Cynnabar] Observations on Grand Tourney

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 09:47:56 EST 2009

Wow, folks. Cynnabar obviously has its act together. I saw NOTHING to
be in the least bit critical of, and was really impressed by the way
it came together this year. Didn't hurt that we were blessed with a
beautiful sunrise and a warm, dry day, as well!

Isn't a loss of $200  much closer to even than we've done in the
past. Very cool. We usually take a bath on this event, don't we? One
could attribute the financial gain vs. loss ratio being so close to
not having to rent that second building and heat it, but that would
not be giving credit to the very good decisions made by the autocrat,
Lady Amyon throughout, and to the various members of the group who
made the little changes that really pulled this event together. How
were the attendance numbers this year compared to other years? Did
the number of people we got in the door seem to fit the space well,
or could we fit more people in without renting that second building?
The reason I ask is because I think this event was so successful in
the minds of the attendees -from outside the group- that we may get
an increase next year.

Vincent, the lists were a really superb job, and that cannot be said
enough. You did a huge service to the group, and I know from talking
to people that it s GREATLY appreciated. The fences worked extremely
well and stayed together with little or no issues. They are a BIG
improvement over the old ones.

Straum, aside from great comments about the fun and hilarious
fighting scenarios, the gambling thing that you and your friends set
up probably did more than anything I've seen in a long time to
involve the non-fighters with this event, which is remarkable because
the  event really is heavily geared towards the fighting. I think
people will talk about this event for a long time as a really fun and
positive experience. (PS. Make sure Jason gets his MIT papers to you
for the event and I'll sign off on his marshaling for the day. He
handled it like a pro.)

I didn't make it much into the food area. Got caught up in the
fighting, but the whole thing looked like it really came off well.
There was such a variety of things to get from the bake sale, and
donating the rest to charity was really thoughtful.

As a fighter, I want to also mention that I think the list table
people, including those who heralded the lists, did an excellent job.
I always knew when I was being called to the field, and always had
enough time to ready myself. Am I mistaken, or is that not the first
time you have worked as a team running a list table? It seemed very
smooth.

And Amyon, you really pulled it all off in one heck of a great job at
autocrating! Wow! You put in a lot of effort to making this event
work, and it paid off in a big way. Your dedicated and hard working
attention to detail really made the whole thing work, and I hope we
follow up in the future running our events the way you ran this one.
The site looked great, and to the visitor everything appeared to run
smoothly. We had a lot of things that were new or different go right
instead of wrong. Thank you.

RanthulfR

On Nov 17, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Shefferly, Charles wrote:

> Everyone
>

> My sincere apologies, I made a mistake in my report last night. I
> failed to include the deposit we made when we reserved the site. My
> mistake was that I took the amount that was paid that evening as
> the “total cost” for the site and the rental of the tables/chairs.
>

> On the evening of the event we paid Washtenaw Farm Council the sum
> of $570 for the site, we also paid a deposit of $300 on 3/23/2009
> for our reservation. This brings the total cost of the site to
> $870.00, and changes the number I reported.
>

> As we currently stand, pending the final receipts from Tavern and
> for the gambling tokens, we are currently at a profit of $148.42.
> Once the last of the receipts are in I estimate that the total loss
> will be in the neighborhood of $200.
>

> AElfric
>
> **********************
> ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
> **********************
>
> This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
> legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
> information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
> or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
> this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
> hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
> or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error, please immediately notify the sender and
> delete this E-mail message from your computer.

Randy Asplund
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103