[Cynnabar] Metting place

Jenny Anderson jehanefights at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 11:30:44 EDT 2010

This may have been discussed before and I have been out of the area for a very long time so I am unfamiliar with the policies of the local public libraries and their hours, but has anyone looked into the public libraries for
community space? I know out here in the Cleveland area, they often allow nonprofit groups to use the community spaces for free. Also, there are
lots of branches that are open most weeknights until 9pm. If the 9pm is problematic, perhaps setting a limit on how much discussion can occur during the meeting time and being VERY strict about the start time of the meeting will help to get everyone out on time (I conducted 15-30 min meetings typically). If the amount
of people showing up to meeting isn't that large anymore (it was between 40-60 people when I was Seneschal), a community room might just be the
right size. Then, you could all go out to have beer somewhere afterward
for those that can stay up later. Also, the public library would be an
EXCELLENT place to draw in the public as you could post a sign out front stating SCA meeting here and have fliers
available. If not having meetings there, you might be able to do some
dancing, depending on where the community room was located in the
library (my branch as it off the library so you can be a bit loud
without disturbing people in the library). Anyway, it was just a thought I had after reading a few of these messages.

Oh and Cleftlands pays for their site every week. They ask for a dollar donation from everyone attending unless it's your first time. You can pay that amount upfront and receive a receipt in which case, it's a tax write off donation. It would be nice to have a free room, but sometimes, you do have to pay even a small fee (they pay $70-$80/week, I'm not sure how much it is now). This might be why they have everything happening on the same day:fighting, dancing, meeting, etc. There is a small movement from a few of us to include workshops at least once a month on the dessert revels, which occur on the last Wed of the month where there typically isn't any fighting. Change is a slow process if you don't want to alienate everyone and this system they currently use seems to work fine for most of the members. I realize that a good chunk of the tax payers are not in MI anymore and this could be why libraries and other formerly free places are looking to charge
 for any group to use their space. Just throwing this idea out there for discussion.

Jehane