[Cynnabar] meeting place comment

Shoshana Jackson shoshigana at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 16:44:32 EDT 2010

I think Jami raises a great point - who is our target market?

In addition, I'd like to probe Arnold further - you mentioned there were some "core issues" about which we ought to discuss.  Perhaps it's because I'm relatively new to the inner workings, as it were, but I don't know what these issues are.  I think there is a desire to grow as a local group (not necessarily in numbers, but possibly in terms of quality), and I, for one, would be very open to addressing some of these issues, at least, if not resolving them.

As an aside, I mentioned the possible (probable?) relocation of Monday Meetings, and he said, "...so we're going to hold them here?"  It might be something to consider that we have rotating hosts.  I've seen it done with religious groups - they hold services (with refreshments afterward!) and everything in people's living rooms.  Considering the attendance I've seen in the past six months, I could totally open my house.  That being said, I already host First Mondays at my house for heraldry stuff.  ...plus, I live in Milan, which is not exactly the Cynnabar epicenter.  (Although, street parking is super at my house!)

I appreciate the value of holding meetings at a public venue - usually, that makes it easier to find (and park, UM notwithstanding), and it doesn't require somebody to tidy up beforehand.  However, if we could work meetings into a workshop rotation, I know it would certainly be neat if I could just host my workshops at my place and then hold business meetings afterward.  ("Wow, I had four more people show up than I was expecting - I'll just run downstairs and make more copies!")  Similarly, we could then host dance workshops at some place that more easily accommodates dancing and workshops on fiber arts at someone's home who has a spinning wheel or a loom or something.  This might be a great way to foster a sense of community... and see what other people are doing with themselves.  Plus, this would give people who are unable to make meetings/workshops, due to transportation difficulties, a fine way to bring the meeting to them!

Pie in the sky-
  Simcha

P.S.  The next First Monday is June 7.  Come to my place for a heraldic-ally good time!

The pure righteous people do not complain against wickedness but add righteousness. They do not complain against disbelief but add faith. They do not complain against ignorance but add wisdom.

-Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook