[Cynnabar] St. Cecilia at the Tower: Workshop or Event?

Monique Rio mrio at umich.edu
Wed Aug 24 17:02:41 UTC 2011

Hi all,

My vision for St. Cecilia at the Tower (Cecilia Day) is a workshop by
musicians for musicians. As long as there are multiple interesting
tracks of music classes during the day, that vision will be met.

Whenever we suggest a new event or demo, there’s always some concerns
raised about getting burnt out from running too many events. I
specifically planned for this concern with Cecilia Day by keeping the
vision small enough that it could be run without a great deal of work
by the Barony as a whole.

But I’ve been getting some indication that people want or expect there
to be a larger Baronial presence at the event, so I’d like to get an
idea of the level of involvement the general populace would like to
have in Cecilia Day.

The evening activity is the primary thing that would change based on
how involved the Barony wants to be. Below are some examples of what
both Musician Focused Evening and a Baronial Event Evening could look
like.

Musician Focused Evening:
-Jamming
-Reading through some new music
-General Hanging out
-Performances

Baronial Event Evening:
-Recreation of the Duke of Burgundy’s party where 28 musicians played
music in a pie.
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/egg0598/didyouknow.html#axzz1VxibKyHM
-Performances
-Musical Activities for everyone not just people who read music (ex:
rounds, ballads with choruses, etc.)
-An evening court with lots of music and dancing and entertaining
interspersed. Maybe a talent show... but not Cynnabar’s Got Talent.

As a reminder, this event would be about a month after Terpsichore.
(May 12th is the date we’re looking at now; that conflicts with
Kalamazoo but I’m not sure how many potential attendees would be going
to that anyway.)

I’m still leaning toward this event being a low-impact musician
focused workshop because it’s the first year and I’d rather not have
Cecilia Day be the cause of burnout.

That said, I like some of the event ideas too. Particularly the pie
and the evening artsy/entertaining court.

So, what I want to know is where you fall on this scale:

5: I don’t care what you do, I’m coming to the event. I will be happy
with whatever.
4: I’m coming to the event for the classes, but I’d prefer [Musician
Focused | Baronial Event ]
3: I probably won’t go to the classes, but I’m really excited about
those Baronial Event activities and would definitely come to that.
2: If you had the Baronial Event activities I’d feel like I ought to
come, but I’d rather stay home and rest up for Battle of the Inland
Seas on the next weekend.
1: People play music in the SCA?

Also if you have any other ideas or comments regarding the event let me know.

Yay music!
-Jadzia