[Cynnabar] Ladies' Literary Club -- Site Report

Monique Rio mrio at umich.edu
Thu Aug 25 18:41:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This morning I took a tour of the Ladies' Literary Club. Here are my thoughts:

It's a very beautiful house. Much more atmosphere than most of the
sites we've used for events.

If we were to use it for an event we'd get full use of the kitchen
including plates, glasses, silverware, coffeemaker, etc. We would have
to make sure everything is cleaned up afterward.

When I told Susie, the caretaker, about Cecilia Day she offered to
show me the rooms upstairs which we could use for additional
classrooms. They're pretty small.

Two drawbacks:
1) Size. In my opinion, I don't think the site is big enough for
Wassail. If we only had the feast it might be OK, but given that we'd
have to rearrange the room in order to have court... not so much. That
said, I'm not the autocrat.

2) Rooms downstairs can't be partitioned.

Since it was just me at the tour, I wasn't able to tell how much the
sound carries from room to room. I'm planning to visit it again with a
few more people (and instruments) to test that out.

Hope that helps-
-Jadzia