[Cynnabar] Weekly meeting minutes for 11/28/11

Lord Kazmer lordkazmer at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 15:49:24 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 4:51 PM, barony-request at cynnabar.org wrote:

> Youth Fighting investigation of what is needed -
>
> Mistress Claire did some preliminary investigation on what is needed to hold
> youth activities in the group (with the purpose primarily for youth fencing
> and/or boffer, but it can apply for any youth activity). In short, 2 adults
> need to be present at all times. Only one must have a valid SCA background
> check. For martial activities you must also have a trained "Youth Approved
> Marshal" for fencing or boffer in order to hold those respective activities.
> The marshal may also be the person who has the SCA background check as well.
> But 2 adults must always be present. There is also a separate "Youth
> Approved Trainer" authorization where it allows said person to directly
> fight/train the said youths.

At least one Adult Boffer Marshal must be present whenever youth combat activities take place at an event (includes practices).  A Youth Approved Marshal is allowed to "spar" with a youth, other than their own child.  Parents can always spar with their own children.
That said, anyone may teach or coach a youth fighter.   This includes demonstrations of stance, footwork, blocking, techniques, etc.
I believe that all youth rapier marshals are "youth approved" by definition.

> In the end, Mistress Claire volunteered to coordinate the effort of
> submitting the SCA background check paperwork and several people volunteered
> to start the process. Note, there is no fee involved with getting the SCA
> background check done. If you are interested, please contact Mistress Claire
> for details.

Background checks are required for anyone who works with minors in an official capacity, such as a warranted Minister of Youth or warranted Youth Marshal.  Others may be approved on a case by case basis provided you can justify the need.  Although there is no cost to the individual, there is a cost to the SCA shared between the kingdom and corporate.  So don't be offended if the kingdom seneschal does not approve your request.

THL Nyilas Kazmer
Middle Kingdom Deputy Earl Marshal
Youth Combat

There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are, curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tiny blasts of tiny trumpets, we have met the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us.

Walt Kelly  US animator & cartoonist (1913 - 1973)