[Cynnabar] Weekly meeting minutes for June 27, 2011

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Tue Jun 28 14:54:37 UTC 2011

All,

This is to purchase a copy of NoteWorthy Composer 2 (NWC2), a music
typesetting program.

Some background on why this is useful: Brian Russel, a long-time
SCAdian who recently passed away, transcribed a huge amount of music
using this program. (see
http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Brian_Russell_editions)
Unfortunately much of it has errors. Without a copy of the software
there is no way to correct the errors for the music we want to use
short of re-entering it, potentially introducing new errors. With a
copy of the software, we can fix the errors, improve the editions, and
share the result with the community.

The program is also useful for producing arrangements for the dance
band, which are also shared with the SCA community as a whole.

This purchase would follow the same policies as software bought for
webminister use:

>From the webminister's handbook:

"Software
If you use SCA funds to purchase software, this property belongs to
the SCA, Inc. Copies of SCA, Inc. purchased software may not be kept
for personal use after the Webminister steps down."

NWC2 would belong to the Barony. It would be installed on one of the
choir director's computers. When Monique one day step down as choir
director, the program would be passed on to the new director.

Hope that helps to clarify things.

-Aaron