[Cynnabar] Fwd: New Series of Talks at the Special Collections Library: "A View behind the Scenes".

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Mon Mar 21 14:50:30 UTC 2011

I've just spent several days up on the 7th floor Hatcher in special
collections doing research, and have seen the exhibit. Of note there
are some incunabula up there (a printed book, usually on paper as
these are, and from before 1501 ad.) during the time of manuscript
illumination. They show diagrams and such, but one in particular is a
large heavily illuminated Historia Naturalis by Pliny the younger. Why
is this cool for our scribes? Because it hows renaissance paper so you
can see what it looks like and match to something contemporary, it
shows superb gilding on a red bole base, it shows what the medieval
colors looked like when in good condition, and it shows the scale of
work when NOT being done by the greatest craftsmen of the time. Its
worth a look if you are n town between 10am and 5pm M-F and limited
weekend hours (check web site).

BTW, if anybody wants to dabble with binding, or see pictures of
medieval manuscript work, including calligraphy, illumination and
gilding, I've been taking tons of photos n the copystand and am
willing to show them after I get them organized.

RanthulfR