[Cynnabar] A "minor" bit of censorship

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Sat May 14 13:36:22 UTC 2011

Yup. Johnnae, you nailed that on the head. That's the pendulum of over-
reaction leading to inappropriate and ineffectual response that I was
talking about.  Seems to be a sign of the times, since this is
something far from isolated to the SCA.

I think it is a shame that the US court system is so capable of
allowing the punishment to extend into the innocent (corporate SCA for
example) when the actual perpetrator should bear the focus of the
consequences. We have a very imperfect system.

The problem is in the SCA taking the attitude of "erring" on the side
of anything. It shouldn't intentionally "err" at all. It should be
smart enough to do what is legally required and reasonable. It should
be smart enough to evaluate actual effectiveness of policies. Placebo
policies cause more harm than good because they lead to a sense of
false security (as well as limiting what people can do which they
might want to do).

Example of the SCA erring on the side of paranoia: I wanted to teach a
class at Pennsic last year for kids on how to draw dragons. If I had
picked an A&S pavilion as a site(which would not be monitored BTW) it
would have been registered. But even though I have a background check
clearance for working with SCA youth, and there would be at least 2
unrelated adults working there, my class was denied because it was for
minors in a Merchant Booth. Why is this stupid? I am teaching the
exact same class this year, in my booth. I just didn't put an age
classification on it when I registered. I don't mind if extra adults
come. The placebo policy was completely subverted because it didn't
work.

So last year, the kids missed out on a fun and safe activity that has
been done at events elsewhere because the SCA can't seem to be
bothered to take the time to properly evaluate policies and use common
sense (a merchant booth is a VERY public place, and kids are roaming
them alone all the time, so why is a class there more prone to a
problem? Arguably, it is actually a safer environment).

My feeling is that the best defense against what the SCA is concerned
about is for us as a group to encourage more parental involvement with
youth at events. Too often I see parents dump off their kids or just
let them roam free. Certainly this should not be banned because some
youth are able to be trusted more than others, but what to do about
the rest? Do we cause harm by restricting the good ones? While I am a
trusting person to a certain extent, I feel the parents need to make a
judgement call AND be held responsible for its results. I think that
such common sense is more effective than the Chicken Little attitude
the SCA seems to be promoting.

RanthulfR