[Cynnabar] Weekly meeting minutes for 11/28/11

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 19:31:39 UTC 2011

Here are the weekly meeting minutes for 11/28/11.

Announcements:

- Next business meeting is December 12th.

- There will be no December 26th meeting.

- Vince let us know that the incorporation move is complete and just needs
to do the "old Cynnabar" domesday to finish.

- From Midar (via Anne): "Pie. Lots of pie."

- Cynnabar Holiday Gift Exchange (Dec 19th)

This will take place on Dec. 19th at the regular business meeting. We'll
keep the meeting short this night so we can get to the fun!

If you want to participate, bring a wrapped gift of around $10-ish. Note: No
crap stuff from Straum's basement.

This will in the "white elephant" format.

-          All presents will be put in a pile in the middle.

-          Where people will draw numbers to see what order people go in.

-          A person can either pick a new present from the pile and unwrap
it for everyone to see or they can "steal" a previously opened present from
another person.

-          If a person's present is stolen, they may either steal from
another person or choose to open another gift.

-          Note: There is a 3 steal limit on any item. That means that it
may only be stolen 3 times total for the entire event. So the 3rd person to
steal an item cannot have it stolen from them again.

-          Note 2: The first person who goes does not get a chance to steal
at the beginning, so they will have one final chance at the very end to
steal.

Event and Demo Reports:

Sir Straum reports that the Command Symposium was great. Kudos was given to
the fighters of Cynnabar as examples of the right way to do things.

Old Business:

Events and Demos

Grand Tournament (Dec. 3rd) -

Setup starts at 7:30 AM on Saturday. There will not be a Friday night setup.
Gate opens a 9:AM. COME HAVE FUN!

Wassail (Dec 17th) -

Looking for stuff for the garage sale.

A Day as St. Catherine's Cloister - Demystifying A&S Competitions (Feb. 4th)
-
Info is out to various lists (Facebook, Laurel's list, Middlebridge, etc)
getting the word out.

Terpsichore (April 14th) -

Note: Iron Peep contest on Friday.

St. Ceclia at the Tower (May 12th) -

Nothing new to report.

Boy Scout Demo (Dec 12th) -

We are doing a small fighter demo at a Boy Scout meeting on Dec. 12th. We
are all set.

Ann Arbor Christian School demo (Dec. 8th) -

Ann Arbor Christian School requested a demo Dec. 8th from 7:00-9:00 PM
looking for carolers and fighters (2 fencers, 2 heavy). School is at 5500
Whitmore Lake Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48105. Contact Lady Jadwiga to volunteer.

Other Business

New Fencing Gear Budget Proposal -

A proposal for the Barony to purchase two new kid-sized fencing masks for
$170 ($85 each) +shipping has been made. The purpose is so that if there are
interested youth fencers we would have the equipment ready and available for
them to use/try. We already have some youth blades so those would not be
needed. These masks will also be steel, so smaller adult fencers would be
able to use them as well for adult fencing if needed.

This was the second meeting to discuss. Considered a great idea by a lot of
people at the meeting. Masks will be blue on the inside and black on
outside. Next business meeting we will discuss and bring up for final budget
approval for purchase.

Thursday's Fencing practice night (with dancing) -

Thursdays from 7-9 PM at Pierpont Commons is set to begin in January. Good
discussion took place around this and in particular conflicts with people
and other activities in the Barony. We are fortunate that we have so many
people interested and have many activities in the group for them to be
interested in. This does unfortunately cause scheduling conflicts. The
proposal of the Thursday indoor night is to mimic the summary outdoor
fencing practice nights. The dancing will be in addition to/made available
for those who can attend. It is not meant to be the "official" Barony dance
practice. So in the end, there should end up Thursday night fencing practice
that folks can also dance at if inclined.

Discussion was brought up to see if we can restart an official Baronial
dance practice, but this would take further investigation and should include
our dance mistress and other "core" dancers.

Nicola's Wrapping and Donation fundraiser -

We can volunteer to wrap gifts at Nicola's and possibly receive donations
for doing so. See Lady Amyon's e-mail for more details or contact her
directly.

Youth Fighting investigation of what is needed -

Mistress Claire did some preliminary investigation on what is needed to hold
youth activities in the group (with the purpose primarily for youth fencing
and/or boffer, but it can apply for any youth activity). In short, 2 adults
need to be present at all times. Only one must have a valid SCA background
check. For martial activities you must also have a trained "Youth Approved
Marshal" for fencing or boffer in order to hold those respective activities.
The marshal may also be the person who has the SCA background check as well.
But 2 adults must always be present. There is also a separate "Youth
Approved Trainer" authorization where it allows said person to directly
fight/train the said youths.

In the end, Mistress Claire volunteered to coordinate the effort of
submitting the SCA background check paperwork and several people volunteered
to start the process. Note, there is no fee involved with getting the SCA
background check done. If you are interested, please contact Mistress Claire
for details.

Loaner gear for youth (boffer) combat was also discussed. It was agreed that
armor for that age range would be very hard to fit such a wide variety
sizes. In the end being able to put together a resource list for interested
parents on what they would need to get for their kids, where they can get it
and roughly how much it would cost can be made available. However, it was
agreed that the Barony should be able to put together some loaner weapons
and shields to make available for those who want to try. What it will take
to put the resource list and weapons/shields are still under investigation.

Local event resource book project -

No feedback yet. This is a long term project. Please see Mistress Claire
with any feedback or questions. We'll be removing this from future agendas
for now.

Workshops -

Award tokens were made.

Dec. 11th is a garb workday (see the Baronial calendar on the Cynnabar
website for details).

Gold Key -

Sorting was completed. Next steps will be to sort thru the feast gear and
accessories and will include banners and serving tabards. Which will be
after the Holidays. Removing this from agenda as well.

Phonebook -
Proof copy was at the meeting! ETA is this should be completed by Wassail.

Citadel -
ETA is this should be completed by this weekend.

New Business

Irish Whisky Cake -
It is noted by Sir Straum and Finn that the Irish whisky cake outweighs the
pie.

Loaner Heavy Weapons Armor -

The existing loaner armor for heavy weapons is in bad repair and even broken
(where it can't even be repaired). Gregoire will be putting together a
budget proposal replacing the loaner armor and will send it to the business
meeting for review/discussion/approval.

Loaner Fencing Swords -

Lord Arnold reported that one sword was broken at practice last week and
another damaged (but it might be salvageable). There was a generous donation
of a new blade to the group. And if the damaged blade is not usable, that
still leaves the Barony with 4 good loaner swords, so no new blades are
needed.