[Cynnabar] Generalist Events vs. Niche Events or Opening the Can of Worms

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Fri Sep 16 02:11:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Martha Sieting <osermart at msu.edu> wrote:

> Some may not like it, but this is a pay to play organization.  We pay to
> have the fun we have and we pay to do the work when it needs doing.

As I responded to Uillec: Some have money to give; some have time; if
you are lucky, you have both. The SCA clearly has it as a goal to be
inclusive: that is why event fees are generally low. We should also be
inclusive of those who have time and are willing to give it, but
cannot also give money. This is especially true at "niche events"
where there is not really anything for those outside the niche to do
except to volunteer.

> Comparing how the SCA does things to how Group XYZ does things is really
> irrelevant.

Again, see Jadzia's response to Gregoire. The fact that a particular
model works in another group is at least evidence that a change would
not destroy the SCA. In any case, the SCA does not need to be an
immutable organization, not does what a particular event steward
chooses to do in Cynnabar have to match the SCA as a whole.

-a