[Cynnabar] comping for events

Malachy von Ulm malachy at pfrc.org
Fri Sep 16 17:37:56 UTC 2011

A reason some people feel the desire to comp the (IMO) low gate fee is to
show appreciation for the fact that these people are "working for our fun".

A reason some people feel that such comping is unfair is "We're subsidizing
their fun."

I prefer to think about this as "I'm showing my appreciation for their
efforts".  I feel this is consistent with the values of the Society.

I also prefer to do this by not touching the gate fee since that is part of
each individual's contribution to the workings of the Society.  It also side
steps the appearance of "paying" our contributors.

I believe the reason we have so much passion around this subject is the fact
that money is involved.  I don't believe anyone has issue with showing
appreciation of efforts by individuals put forth for an event whether that
work is troll, running of the lists, working feast, teaching or performing.
As a matter of fact, we value these things and present awards for such work.

I suggest framing the issue from two viewpoints:
- How do we express our appreciation of significant effort to individuals in
  a way that is consistent with our values?
- How do we do so in a way that is mindful of the impact such appreciation
  may have on the event?

--
Malachy

"Ancient nightmares. Archaic legends.  Enigmatic dreams. All of it is true."
Abney Park - All the Myths are True.