[Cynnabar] BoC - Settlement funding discussion

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 21:52:53 UTC 2012

OK, as I understand it, everybody's contribution is based on last
year's accounting. This year some will have more, like we do, and some
will have less. Mathematically, that is not relevant. It could be
based on any fixed time period and it would still average to the same
bottom line.

The SCA is HUGE. And there are enough branches affected by this that
one should be able to treat the situation with statistical
probability. Does it not stand to reason that overall, the average
contribution if EVERYBODY gives exactly what they were asked to give
would ultimately average out to what is needed? Don't we expect that
the people in charge were smart enough to think about that and ask a
wee bit more in case the average was not quite attained?

And then consider that this amount is only 18%. For one thing, It
isn't likely to be enough to destroy any group's ability to hold
events this year, and if it does impact any group enough to hinder
their ability to host an up-coming event, then we certainly would have
at least our regular three weeks of discussion time to propose,
discuss and vote on how much and to which group(s) we would like to
make an emergency donation to.

This may be a year when we all shine and give generously to our
neighbors IF it turns out that they need it, but right now, at 18% I
completely fail to see the emergency. We have time folks. Let's not be
rash. IF WE DONATE OUR SURPLUS RIGHT NOW TO THE SCA, AND ONE OF OUR
NEIGHBORING GROUPS DOES GET HIT HARD, THE CORPORATE SCA WILL NOT BE
HELPING THAT GROUP AT ALL, AND WE WOULD NO LONGER HAVE THE FUNDS TO
BAIL THEM OUT.

And finally, let us not forget that Their Highnesses are still going
to need help with Their travel funds. If we squander money here
needlessly, we might not be putting the money where it would be most
useful if TRH's or neighboring groups might need our help in the
aftermath. It is great to show our generosity, but we really need to
consider this and be smart about where that generosity is going.

RanthulfR

On Feb 7, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Charles J. Cohen wrote:

> Aaron Elkiss <aelkiss at umich.edu> writes:
>
>> fund the settlement. I'm not at all against contributing extra
>> because
>> we can, either to other local groups whose situation will be made
>> precarious by this, the Kingdom, or the Society, but anything extra
>> should go through the normal discussion period.
>
> The reason for forgoing the discussion period is because the SCA has
> acquire the funds in 10 days (not sure if that is calendar or work
> days
> ... sorry). So more money helps ease the strain on Kingdom when they
> have to pay their invoice from Corporate.
>
> Please note that I'm not saying your point isn't valid, because it
> is. I'm giving you a reason why this is a legitimate time for the
> Seneschal to say, "We need to have an emergency decision."
>
> - Midair

Randy Asplund
Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103