[Cynnabar] How much more can we give?

Monique Rio mrio at umich.edu
Wed Feb 8 18:20:27 UTC 2012

Since no one has responded to my post burried at the end of the very
long thread, I'm bumping it up to it's own post, with some edits.

1) From Tairdelbach:
"We have already been informed that the kingdom funds will be
virtually depleted and a number of projects will be placed on hold. We
can request that excess funds be directed to the kingdom coffers and
will be of immediate assistance to the Royals and others. The benefit
to giving now may mean that the Royals will get to travel to events in
the next couple months, or that Kingdom can pay other outstanding
costs unrelated to the lawsuit."

2) Since we do have the funds to give now, and since we have been
given a bit more information (Thank you, Your Excellency!) I think we
should give something to Kingdom above and beyond the minimum required
at Val Day. It would help smooth things over and we can afford it.

2.5) I also want to make sure that we have sufficient money available
to directly help groups in the opposite position that we're in. No
where in His Excellency's statement does it say that we can direct
money to cover the costs for the groups who need it. Once that money
has been given to Kingdom we no longer have control over it.

I like Adele's suggestion of asking the Kingdom Seneschal to let us
know who needs help. Given the information Kingdom has on the
individual groups, someone up there should be able to figure this out.
I think it's worth our time to do this.

So, the question I have is this, if we give $1200 to Kingdom on
Saturday, will we as a group still feel comfortable giving more ($600?
another $1200?) in a month or two to less fortunate groups if the need
arises? This is at least as important to me as ensuring that the
Royals can travel.

And I'd rather not have to rely on fundraisers for this particular
cause. In addition to the Barony's money, sure, but I'd like to see
the Barony directly stepping in to help other groups in need. I get
the feeling that by the time this problem sees the light of day other
groups will be unable to step up to the plate because they've given
all they can give directly to Kingdom on Saturday. Urgency is a hard
thing to stand up to.

I also fully admit that it's more than possible that Kingdom is
planning to eat the costs of groups who would otherwise fold. But we
haven't been told.

-Jadzia