[Cynnabar] To Seneschal et all

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 14:08:39 UTC 2012

Lord Finn,

How will this decision be made before Saturday? A poll has been
proposed and seconded, and another person has offered to draft it, but
t is now Thursday and we've had no word yet about how the decision
will be made.

I ask because I am concerned that this group might make the mistake of
using the gist of this week's emails to imply a decision rather than
actually using a method that is impartial and non-public. We are
already in a darker than gay area for stretching the "emergency
decision" definition, so we should try our very best to be as fairly
representative as possible.

The logic for using the poll system rather than looking at past emails
is about fairness because:

1) Although many posts on this subject have been made, the majority of
the posts have been from the same few people, which is not a fair
representation of the far greater numbers of the Barony. In fact, we
have not heard from most of our active membership and only (if I
counted right) three of our local Peers. It may turn out that the
opinion of the ones who posted the most for one side carries the favor
of the majority, but we won't know until we have a chance to decide
and vote in private.

2) From the first post by Gregoire, language has been used that would
dissuade anyone who disagreed from saying so has been used. I am NOT
saying that was intentional on anybody's part, but that is certainly
the psychological effect. Who wants to publicly state an opposing
opinion when it might cause them to appear ungenerous or not in
support of Kingdom and Society, even if they thought there was a
better way to do both? I know for a fact that there are people who
have not posted but do disagree. They deserve to have the opportunity
to be counted privately and impartially.

3) There are people on the list who just don't post much, but would
like to vote. There are also members of the local group who are
physically active but are not on the list-serve.

4) Some people have expressed off-list that they have not posted
because they felt others had already made their points.

5) Regardless of what has been said already, we are still waiting for
the last information to arrive, and people on either side might change
their minds in either direction based on that information. Frankly, I
don't even know how "I" would vote yet.

6) And who is eligible to vote ought to be stated. (Please note: This
is not a slight to Their Graces, who live in Pittsburgh. I personally
feel that anyone who feels they are a member of Cynnabar first and
foremost should be allowed to vote. But we have people on this list
who are in a grey area and others who were just plain never members of
Cynnabar but simply want to keep aware of what we are doing).

I doubt strongly that anybody in either camp wants anything but what
is best for the SCA, for the Middle Kingdom and for Cynnabar. The
question is really about what is the wisest way to deal with the
situation. The decision needs to reflect the honest opinion of the
group's members without having anybody feel socially pressured into
voting against what they believe.

RanthulfR

Randy Asplund
Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103