[Cynnabar] Additional settlement funds

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 23:48:57 UTC 2012

Hello to all,

As part of the Baronial meeting last night, we discussed sending in
additional funds to help out with the settlement needs by Kingdom and
Corporate.

Normally, there is a 3 meeting discussion requirement for any expenditure.
However, Cynnabar does have a written policy for expediting expenditures. I
will try to get a copy of the full Baronial Financial Policy up on the
baronial web-site in the next couple of days, but I'll include the wording
of the specific sections for clear reference.

2.ii.1. An expedited expenditure will be determined at the meeting, if it is
necessary.  This will be determined by the participants present at the
meeting.

2.ii.2. The Seneschal can request an expedited expenditure without prior
group approval, if the situation warrants it.

At the town hall meeting at Val Day, the Crown/Kingdom officers said that
the financial situation the settlement is causing is an emergency. The
Society Seneschal who was standing there also was nodding his head to this
as well. It was made clear that Kingdom is in financial straits right now
and everything that can be done to help is needed.

-          It was proposed that Cynnabar send in a full $1000 (one thousand
dollars) to Kingdom (on top of the minimum 2010 18% that we already turned
in at Val Day).

-          It was therefore put to everyone at the meeting that this was an
emergency situation and we should expedite this expenditure by skipping the
normal 3 meeting rule. Everyone at the meeting agreed.

-          Everyone agreed that the full $1000 was good and we should send
it to Kingdom (noted for "litigation fund").

-          A check was cut and signed at the meeting and mailed today
(Tuesday) to the (new) Kingdom Exchequer.

Some additional details from the discussion

It was determined to just send the money to Kingdom and let them decide the
best way it needs to be used. Kingdom fronting a lot of the money for the
settlement payment (due this week) and is doing a lot of shuffling around
right now and every bit helps get them back on more stable ground. It was
mentioned about trying to help other groups that may need financial help as
well, but in the end, trying to do something like that just really is not
logistically feasible. Kingdom will best know where this money needs to go
and how best it can be used. We will trust the Crown and Kingdom officers to
make the right decisions.

Also, we noted the check with "litigation fund". This was done so the
Kingdom knows that Cynnabar means for this money to help out (where needed)
due to the settlement funds. This also means that as it is noted as for
helping with the settlement, that if the SCA wins the lawsuit against the
insurance company and we are actually paid what they should cover, then we
may see some of that money come back to us. No one knows if or when or how
much any of that would be, but the possibility is there.

If people still have questions about the hows and whys of the settlement,
please start by reading the details from corporate at
http://sca.org/BOD/announcements/settlement.html. This should answer most
all the questions people generally have. If there are further questions,
feel free to contact me directly.

So after all this how is Cynnabar financially? Pretty good actually. Even
after the previous agreed upon tithings ($600 total), the $330+ for the 2010
18% required and the $1000 additional, we should still have around $5000 in
our account. So we are set to cover our own event costs as well as being in
position to help out any more if needed.

Again, thanks to everyone for their time and input on this most sensitive
and unprecedented issue that we have had to deal with  personal, Baronial,
Kingdom and Society levels.

-Finn

Seneschal.