[Cynnabar] "Brave" Movie Group Viewing/Demo Possibility?

Jennifer Genoveva jenniferlynangel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 17:28:42 UTC 2012

Greetings, Fair Cynnabar!

As your new Chatelaine, I'm looking for ways to promote our amazing group
in our community. Yesterday I came across an idea and thought I'd bring it
up to see if anyone has any interest.

The new "Brave" movie by Disney/Pixar is coming out on Friday, June 22. The
movie takes place in 10th century Scotland and features a skilled archer
named "Merida." By all preliminary accounts, this is going to be a great
movie -- it already has a 79% fresh rating from rottentomatoes.com and it's
generating a lot of buzz for it's excellent attention to detail in accurate
archery, beautiful music, great storytelling, and so on. And while it is a
computer-animated movie, I know from experience that this sort of movie
appeals to adults as well as kids, and geeky adults at that ... I think the
demographic is particularly good here.

My thought is to have a bunch of us meet up, in GARB, and watch the movie
together. It would be a fun group activity AND we'd get people asking about
who we are and what we do, generating interest and excitement for SCA. If
anyone were interested in coming along but not watching the movie, I would
talk to the movie theater management to see if we could have a small demo
table. I've seen it done there myself over the years, and I know for a fact
that the area SCA (Cynnabar?) did it many moons ago because I know of at
least one very experienced and high-ranked member who discovered the SCA
via a movie theater demo!

Right now I'd just like to gauge interest in something like this. My
suggestion would be to do this at Quality 16 in Ann Arbor because I've seen
the most demos there and I think the demographic is better there than at
Showcase Cinemas. I'm also willing to collect monies in advance and
pre-purchase tickets if that's something we want to do. I know there's a
big event that weekend that our musicians/dancers are going to, but if
there was enough interest I don't see why we could have two movie-going
dates.

So ... anyone interested in going to see Brave with me and mine the weekend
of June 22?

--
Im Dienst,
   Genoveva  ~♥~