[Cynnabar] Regarding Archery: a Populace Service Announcement

Elizabeth Calhoun lizcal at umich.edu
Fri Jun 22 14:52:18 UTC 2012

Unto the Right Worthy Populace of Their Excellencies Tairdelbach and
Hannah, Baron and Baroness Cynnabar, Greetings!

Mindful of various archery events coming up (Baron Wars, Siege of Talonval,
Smurf Shoot to name a few in our area),  I'd like to bring two safety
concerns regarding archery participation to your attention.

1)  Sharing the Line:

Remember that there are no separate authorizations for archers in the
Middle Kingdom.  At any archery event, you are as likely to be sharing the
Line with first-time archers as with Foresters and champions, and with
archers of all skill levels and tackle in between.  Remain aware of the
archers and conditions around you.  If you observe someone exhibiting
unsafe behavior or struggling with their tackle, bring the situation to a
Marshal's attention.  Marshals are tasked to ensure safety as they
reasonably can, but they cannot be everywhere at once.  Be their additional
eyes and ears -- we should all share responsibility for safety at the Line.

There may well be, in this year of archery motion pictures, an influx of
eager would-be SCA members and archers at SCA events.  As Forester Dillon
teaches:  Every archery event is a DEMO.  It's a wonderful outreach
opportunity!  Archery is the "hot commodity" in popular culture just now --
and you may be approached by members of the public with questions.

2)  Tackle and Its Care:

Consider your bow to be a musical instrument of great value.  Heat works
wickedly on wood and fiberglass laminate, especially over time.  If you own
your own bow of the laminate kind, take care to keep it cool, horizontal,
and out of hot cars or direct sunlight for any length of time.  At events,
find it shade -- as you would your offspring or a beloved pet!   And don't
let it languish in the Wassail season -- make sure it's stored properly
over the Winter.

If you borrow "loaner gear" at events, bear in mind that it may once have
been the pride and joy of someone "back in the day" and used well over its
lifetime, before it earned the honor of serving you at the Line.  It is the
duty of Archery Marshals to inspect archery tackle before archers are
permitted to the Line, for the safety of all.   Please don't ever be
tempted to skip this inspection, especially with "loaner gear."    And if,
in the course of the day's activities, some aspect of your tackle worries
you, seek out a Marshal or a Forester and ask their assistance.

I look forward to sharing the Line with you at upcoming events!

Yours Most Sincerely In Service to Their Excellencies, Their most
Distinguished Populace, and the Crown --

Godaeth Wisfaest, Archery GMiT