[Cynnabar] Baronial Missive: Recruitment

Hannah Schreiber hannahschreiber at yahoo.com
Mon May 21 17:55:16 UTC 2012

Unto to the Citizens of Cynnabar –– the Beating Heart of the
Dragon Realm –– do Tardelbach and Hannah, your Baron and Baroness, send
greetings!

We would first like to thank the new members of our Barony
who have offered all of us inspiration. New faces, new spirit, and new
eagerness for learning offers those who have been doing something for a long
time not only the motivation and encouragement to continue, but to even pursue new
things themselves! We have heard many positive comments regarding the enjoyment
of having new people join the group, and the concern that, overall, our own Baronial
recruitment efforts are currently not producing a reliable stream of yet more
of these new members. Thus, We have resolved to put to words Our firm belief
in — and commitment to — the growth of Cynnabar.

To this end We have collaborated with Our Chatelaine,
Genoveva, to take a look at demos and other recruitment opportunities with a
few certain goals in mind:

1)    That they are focused for the audience.
Age and/or topic appropriate. This may also mean that staffing the demo need to
be appropriately targeted as well.
2)    That they are fun for us — as well as the audience.
How can we expect people to want to join if they don’t see us having fun?
3)    That we measure our results to understand
if they are effective. And be willing to change if they are not.
4)    That we take better advantage of latent
opportunities, like practices.
5)    That we have a goal of seeing growth year
over year. Not necessarily large growth, but some growth.

We understand that this may take some time to work out into
anything cohesive, will involve a certain amount of trial and error, and will
probably always be evolving as times and the group changes. But ultimately We
feel that a focused and regularly reviewed approach will produce the best
results — and, an even stronger Cynnabar!

In the coming weeks and months Genoveva will be looking at
what we do and how we do it and, We expect, asking a lot of questions of a lot
of people. Please be as accommodating as you have been with Our past
Chatelaines, as Genoveva continues to build on the foundation they have laid.

As previous Chatelaines have stated, We now also set this
challenge to all of you: Always be an ambassador of the SCA. When you see
someone watching at a practice, go up to them and ask if they have any
questions. If they seem interested after some conversation...hand them a flyer or
social card. When working a demo always be engaging the audience in some way.
If you are attending a meeting, workshop, practice or other event and there is
someone there you do not know –  go
introduce yourself – they are at least a new face for you. It’s important to
include new people into our conversations and activities! Even if it’s just a
matter of offering a smile, always be as welcoming as you can.

We look forward to working with all of you on this important
endeavor. Our pride in Cynnabar grows as We travel the Kingdom and hear so many great compliments about the positive and welcoming nature of Our Citizenry. We
know that this image will only be enhanced by this effort.

In Service to Cynnabar and the Crown,

Tairdelbach and Hannah
Baron and Baroness, Cynnabar