[Cynnabar] A medieval miniature book

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 19:28:29 UTC 2012

Hello folks,

I was minded to make a Bestiary, Romanesque style. Its 2-3/4" high,
and I made a miniature medieval lectern and waxed tablet to go with it
as a display. You can see a page showing how I made the set at: http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/article/bestiary.html

The book is a very heavily photoshopped 210 pages of printing which
were then hand painted with gold color wherever the book had gilding.
It was sewn onto leather sewing supports on a 12th c. style sewing
frame, then bound with 3mm quarter sawn oak boards. The spine has
chamois lining faced with silk fabric, the end-bands are also wrapped
in silk thread. The clasp was made from brass. The parts that are not
completely correct for early Romanesque are the inlays of colored
leather and there is no documentation I know for a Romanesque book
having a raised tooling like the knotwork border I put on the front
(although simpler raised relief does certainly appear before and after
this period).

Enjoy!

RanthulfR

Randy Asplund
Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr.
Ann Arbor, MI 48103 USA