[Cynnabar] Duct tape and rattan at the Sword Club

David Hoornstra dhoorn123 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 10:42:41 CST 2013

For the first time in our parallel histories, the Ann Arbor Sword Club will
offer a demo of armoured combat with rattan this coming Tuesday, February 5.

The occasion is "Week Seven" .... what the club calls its FREE ³open house²
workshops and clinics on the Tuesday after each six-week class session.

Our two active crossover members ‹Daibhid and Matthias -- will present a
45-minute demo of sword/shield and greatsword in armour for our Western
Martial Arts audience. That much will be nothing new to any SCA member.
BUT....

Although this is primarily a martial arts occasion, it would be nice if
someone (other than us) brought some SCA info and artifacts to show and
tell. Many of our audience have a hazy idea of the SCA. I¹d call this an
opportunity, albeit a small, informal one. The two previous Week Sevens have
drawn 15-25 audience members with specific interest in western martial arts
(WMA).

AND...

After the demo and questions, the floor(s) open for both modern and WMA
fencing. ALL fencers (modern, SCA and WMA) are welcome; no floor fee for
this evening. All we ask is non-members sign in. Active participants are
also asked to sign our waiver. (The venue and time do not permit armoured
combat beyond the demo on this occasion.)

Place: Pittsfield Grange Hall, 3337 Ann Arbor-Saline Road, Ann Arbor MI.
Parking lot surrounds building. Enter at FRONT.

Schedule:
Doors open at 6:20.
Demo from 6:45 to 7:30
7:45: Socializing and open fencing (including SCA Rapier) until we¹re all
tired and go home or out to eat.

See you there or at the next practice.

Daibhid

P.S. This is not an official communication of the SCA , Inc., nor is the use
of the initials ³SCA² intended to imply that the described event has any
connection with the SCA or its subsidiary organizations.