[Cynnabar] Cynnabar Mid-Winter 2013 Archery Update

Elizabeth Calhoun lizcal at umich.edu
Wed Feb 13 13:49:13 CST 2013

Unto their Excellencies Cynnabar and the Populace of Their Most Worthy
Barony, Hail!

You may have noticed that there's a little more sunlight in the days
now -- indeed, while there are bitter nights still ahead, nevertheless
the year turns toward springtime and archery season.  And what a
season it's going to be!

First:

**If you haven't met The Honorable Lord Forester Grey Oddsson (Greg J.
Granger on Facebook), please attend any Monday night business meeting
and say "Hi!"  Forester Grey has offered his manifold skills and his
considerable knowledge in service to Their Excellencies Cynnabar and
The Populace:  he welcomes requests for strings custom-made (Flemish
twist or endless loop), for instruction in string-making, bow buying,
fletching, maintenance of bows and crossbows, general archery
instruction/history/lore, and fairy tales I mean WAR STORIES from his
35+ years of archery practice and teaching; and ...

** COMBAT ARCHERY **  Forester Grey welcomes any who would like to be
introduced to the principles of combat archery.

** If you are interested in attending "Better War Through Archery"
this weekend in the Barony of Sternfeld, Forester Grey would like to
talk to you.  The event's Website is
http://www.midrealm.org/sternfeld/bwta/ .

The Honorable Lord Forester may be reached by PM on Facebook or you
can meet him in person at a business meeting, or chat with him about
archery at Thrown Weapons Practice at his residence.

NEXT:

Because our Pennsic dates have been moved up this year, "local"
(within about 100 miles or so) archery events are going to seem to be
crowded into mid- May and through June:

--17-19 May - Battle of the Inland Seas XIX
   Shire of Altenberg (Armada, MI)  = usually the Pentamere Regional
Archery and Thrown Weapons Championships  (PLEASE NOTE that this does
conflict with Cynnabar's own St. Cecelia at the Tower on May 18.)

--7-9 Jun - Siege of Talonval, Shire of Talonval (Leslie, MI)

--14-16 Jun -  Baronial Border War 30, Canton of Rimsholt (Ionia, MI)
= usually the Kingdom Archery and Thrown Weapons Championships

-- 21-23 Jun - Baron Wars,  Marche of the Marshes (Perrysburg, OH)

-- 7 Jul -  Smurf Shoot, The Riding of Hawkland Moor  (Clarkston, MI)

This is by NO MEANS an exhaustive list, but events I know of from
previous years which feature archery and thrown weapons: just FYI and
planning.

AND:

**Resumption of Official Baronial Archery Practice**:  I have been in
touch with THLF Dillon ap Dillon and we are "plotting" a pre-Opening
of the Range (non) event for St. Patrick's Day, Sunday March 17.  I
call this ONLY IF WEATHER PERMITS practice as "The St. Paddy's Day
Snake Shoot."  It would occur at "regular" practice time, 2-4pm, and
feature only a few targets ... but I promise: FUN TARGETS!  Otherwise,
look for the Opening of the Range sometime the first two weeks of
April (Sundays 4/7 or 4/14), *weather permitting.*

The Lady Marshal Aeffe and I look forward to sharing the Line with you
in the upcoming archery season!  If you need transportation to archery
events, please let us know -- we often have space for a passenger and
his/her archery tackle in our vehicle.  If you are interested in
becoming a Target Archery Marshal yourself, we would be delighted to
help you get started.

In Bold Service to Their Excellencies Cynnabar, Their Populace, and the
Crown of the Greatest Kingdom, the Middle,

Lady Godaeth se Wisfaest, GM for Target Archery