[Cynnabar] FW: Mary - July 18, 2013

Dennis Higgins mortisfan at comcast.net
Fri Jul 19 09:21:12 CDT 2013

I don’t think anyone posted this here yet. But we have lost my wife, Dame
Margarete of Sterlingshire (OP) yesterday to cancer. She started the SCA in
Cynnabar many years ago and we moved back here a few years back to be closer
to family and friends. Below is the rest of the e-mail.

Thanks to all.

-Finn

I don’t know how to write this. I can’t be as eloquent as I want to right
now or as eloquent as Mary deserves. But Mary has lost the fight to her
cancer today. She passed at home with her close family around. The past few
days she has been pretty steady with mostly sleeping. And this morning when
I left for work (and her mom took over for watching during the day)
everything seemed OK. However, during the day her breathing became more
laborious and her pulse increased. I received a phone call at work around
3:PM from the hospice nurse that visits daily and drove the hour home to be
with Mary. She breathing was still off and the indications from the nurses
was that time was short. I went and got AJ from day-camp and AJ and I, along
with her mother and father and her aunt June were all home. We all got to
talk to Mary and say what we needed to say. Even though she could not
respond, I know that she could hear us and I know that I was able to let her
know how loved she was by everyone and that AJ and I will be OK. She pass
shortly after that. Nothing long or drawn out.  She is finally at peace.

Right now, the plan is to hold a memorial service in a few weeks in
accordance to Mary’s wishes. Most likely it will be Labor Day weekend. She
wished to be cremated but we will also be getting a plot for her in the
local cemetery here in Chelsea. Once we get more details on thing we will
let everyone know.

I know the big question a lot of folks will ask is “What can we/I do?”,
right now, give us some time please. I will absolutely not hesitate to ask
people if I need assistance with anything. But for now, please let us figure
things out and take things from there. We will absolutely take any and all
e-mails, letters, etc. of support. So if you’re not sure if you should send
or not, please do so.

I’ve said this many times in the past, but it’s been the love, support and
prayers throughout this entire fight from all our family and friends that
have made things OK for us. I’d tell Mary on a daily basis about everyone’s
love that was being given her. I know she heard and knew as well. Thank you
everyone. For everything. No matter how large or small your support for
Mary, AJ and I, it all means a great deal to us.

Please feel free to pass this news onto anyone that you may think this needs
to be sent to.

I will send out more details on a memorial service for her (again, probably
around Labor Day weekend) once we get them in place.

Our love to all