[Cynnabar] Cross over fighters/fencers

Fujinami no Kaede via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Mon May 12 17:27:59 UTC 2014

I will be posting this in multiple locations; please forgive me if you get
it more than once!

I was asked at Spring Revel before I was made Rapier champion how I would
handle cross over fighters. The war season is quickly coming up on the
barony, and unfortunately because we are getting ready to move I won't be
able to make many practices between now and Border Wars, but I want to
encourage any one who is considering to become a cross over fighter/fencer.
I know that the fencers will be more than willing to help any armored
fighter who is interested in crossing over to get ready to authorize, and
I'm sure that the armored fighters will be willing to do the same for any
rapier fighter considering picking up armored as well.\

And rapier fighters--remember that in addition to the standard sword and
board authorization, fencers also have the option of authorizing directly
in spear with the sponsorship of a knight, and Cynnabar has a number of
knights we can talk to about this. My hands and hip unfortunately at this
point won't let me fight spear, but I've played around with them a little
bit and they are FUN and the point control etc. is similar to what we do on
the rapier side.

I am less familiar with how rapier fighters can contribute to the armored
side, but I know from past experiences that having armored fighters on our
side make a HUGE difference in the war effort. I can not emphasize enough
how much they have contributed to our ability to secure war points at
Pennsic in particular. I remember one battle in particular where we swept
our opponents for war points and they released the cross over fighters so
that they could rest before the armored battles that afternoon, and then we
fenced another couple of scenarios just for fun, and they ran right over
us! We had not only lost a significant portion of our troops, but armored
fighters tend to have a lot more experience with melee (especially larger
melees) and that experience really makes a difference on the field.

DRACO INVICTUS!

Yours in Service,

Fujinami no Kaede