[Cynnabar] Barony Digest, Vol 59, Issue 12

Elizabeth Calhoun via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Tue Sep 23 12:48:21 UTC 2014

Most Esteemed Exchequer --

Your recent statement regarding your support of the proposed financial
policy amendment prompts me to respond and I mean to do so in the spirit of
chivalry.  Specifically this:

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Ben Jackson via Barony <barony at cynnabar.org
> wrote:

> Dear Cynnabar,
>
> ​"... Next, if we give every officer $50 to spend, I'm willing to wager
> they'll spend it.  Was our barony really lacking $600-ish worth of goods
> this year?  I am not sure people realize that this will wind up draining
> our coffers faster than before.  We have a decent amount of money.  Right
> now.  Do we want to spend several hundred dollars extra on "office
> supplies"?  Aren't there better uses for the group's money?"

This is something of a non-sequitur.  No one has "given" any officer money
nor is that the intention of the proposal (as I understand it).​  "This
will wind up draining ..." has yet to be proven.  But more to my point, I
don't think you realize that some officers may go over "about $50" in the
conduct of our office annually without ever once asking for any
reimbursement.  It's just incidental to what we do, a loving part of our
service.

​I will take your wager that if you give *every* officer $50 to spend,
they'll spend it.  I know at least one officer who never has -- put it back
on the Barony to support such an expenditure.  I'll wager there are more of
us, too.

I have two bows in my possession (and wrapped with a band black-red-white
electrical tape) bought before Celtic Festival archery at Dick's Sporting
Goods because we (Forester Grey and I) knew we would need lighter-poundage
bows for young beginners at that demo.  Total spent: about $75.  Because
for archery marshals, THAT'S "office supplies."

I honestly don't think you meant to suggest that Baronial officers will
just find ways of spending the money they appear to be given.  But at the
same time, one of the unspoken and critical aspects of retention is
gratitude and recognition for the "time-talent-treasure" that goes into
being an officer in a volunteer organization.  That includes yours!  Rather
than what might be interpreted (as I did) as an implied accusation of poor
stewardship with other peoples' money.

I've been in your position: I've been the treasurer for a small volunteer
organization (about 100 members) with several thousand in the bank.  I know
full well that it can go out a LOT faster than it comes in.  Your caution
is justified.  I thank you for it.

And thank you for reading my reply to your opinion.

In Service,

Godaeth
-- "retiring" Group Marshal for Target Archery, Cynnabar