[Cynnabar] 20160222 Barony of Cynnabar

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Feb 24 00:37:06 UTC 2016

 20160222 Barony of Cynnabar

Anno Societatis L

Center Room, Pierpont Commons.  Workshops 6:30 to 7:15. _10_ attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30.  _17_ attendees

*Workshop Topics:*  Tonight was *Attending Court as a Newcomer.* Baron
Ermenrich gave an overview on who's who on the dais, what goes on, and what
to do should you be called into the presence.

·         Please join us at 6:30 for an interesting topic before each
meeting.

·         Please tell *Baroness Hannah* if you would like to present a
workshop.  All topics are of interest.

·         We can get a Screen needed. It *may* be possible to get a
projector, too. Please see Hannah.

*March 14 *- *An Introduction to Scribal Arts by Baroness Hannah.  *Class
for the very beginner: sources for inspiration, putting together a scribal
kit, layout techniques, and basic MK requirements for court scrolls. If
you've never tried and want to -- or are curious how scrolls are made --
this is for you!

*March 21 - Early period embroidery make-n-take with Lady Aeffe*.  Spend an
hour learning basic stitches,  take home everything to finish a small
embroidered fabric pouch. Materials provided.

*March 28 - Good books for …Cooking**! by Lady Daye & Ms. Kay*. *Book Club*
focuses on medieval or other period cooking. Please bring a short list of
your favorite cooking or other food related books, with a brief reason why
you love them. All books, from modern fiction or period documentable that
you find inspiring about food and cooking are welcome! A discussion of
these books, held in Round Robin format, will compare and exchange ideas of
what makes a book valuable to you.

*Note Bene:* *Book Club* has been suggested to be held *quarterly on the
last Monday meeting of the month*. A different topic will be chosen each
time. Please pass along suggestions to Mistress Kay or Lady Daye as you
have them.

*Activity, Event & Demo Reports*

Roman Villa presentation by Professor John Clark, connected with the NEW
exhibit at the Kelsey Museum on U/M campus.  Amy/ Draco said it was great,
with wonderful models and information.  These models are of homes excavated
near Pompeii Italy.

Kay is de-accessioning SCA materials, books, and stuff preparatory to a
future move.  Announcements of items to follow.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Terpsichore at the Tower (March 5, 2016)* St Paul United Church of Christ,
Saline, MI. Lady Ceara is event steward. Budget $1000 2/22/16 corrected
CHANGE to $1200 (Final TBD). Break even 84 Adults. 1/18/16 CHANGE to 182
Adults

·         All is on track.

·         Please Volunteer.  Use the Volunteer Spot link on the Cynnabar.  It
is in a post from Anne, on Feb 22, most recently. There are still 13
openings. (I just took 2)

·         The request for people to work as retainers is out to the Kingdom.
Please fill all Event volunteer spots before looking to retain.

·         Dance Book Collating will be at Ms. Alina and Mr. Midair’s home
on Wednesday 2/24

·         Tavern Info is on the web page.

·         The professionally printed special edition Dance Book order goes
in tonight.  There may be 3-4 copies extra for sale.

*St. Cecilia at the Tower (Sat April 30- Sun May 1, 2016)* St Paul United
Church of Christ, Saline, MI Mistress Jadwiga is event steward.  Budget
$400. Break even 67 Adults.

·         Class scheduling continues until 2/29

·         Opera Planning is underway.

*Grand Day of Tournaments 2016 (Sat Nov 5, 2016)* Liberty School, Ann Arbor
Saline Road, Saline, MI. Ms. Giovanna Steward. Budget $1735. Breakeven 174.

·         Event is approved and planning is underway.

*Old Business*

*Search for Minster of Youth Office* – On going.

*Search for Cynnabar Pursuivant* – On going. A thought from Ermenrich
workshop; The Herald is the Security Officer for the Crown’s Dignity.  It
is her job to protect it.

*Search for Knights Marshall-* On going

*50 Year Celebration (June 17- June 2016)* Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds
1600 Main St. Danville, IN.

Check here each week for News of the Baronial Presence at 50 Year.

·         Kasha and Ermenrich will attend the second weekend.

·         No other discussion on Monday.

*New Business*

*New Tubs for Gold Key *Budget= $???  Daye

*Terpsichore has Decorations for the Ball.*  Will the Barony reimburse some
or all of the money Daye and Peter invested in this project without prior
discussion?

·         Decorations are two ceiling-high columns to decorate both ends of
the hall, plus nets of silk flower over head, and miscellaneous other
decorations.

·         $250 is the estimated total expense.

·         Is this a good idea?  {People do not want to set a precedent for
funding something after it was done/ created.

·         Will it matter if the event is under budget and makes the money
in profit?

*Celtic Festival (Saturday July 9, 2016)* Saline Michigan. Baron
Tairdelbach. Budget >$100 for Sports Drinks and Snacks for fighters/
demonstrators.

*How can Cynnabar be more gender aware and inclusive?* Draco (MKA Amy)

·         Draco is researching and preparing a presentation on period
gender identification and pronoun variations.  She plans to present it as a
workshop here in June, as a dress rehearsal for a class at Pennsic.

·         There has been discussion on the Facebook page. Several responses.

·         Aaron is looking at adding a space on the Order of Precedence for
preferred pronouns and perhaps gender identity.

·         This may be an area where it is natural for Ann Arbor and
Cynnabar to be at the leading edge of a social change. The Kingdom and
Society may benefit from any discussion and changes we implement to be more
welcoming.

*Other Group Discussion*

*Spring Revel 2016* DATE still TBD but *April 17, 2016* looks best.  Eadræd
(MKA Michael) Budget $____ Budget $____. Breakeven applicable? 1st of 3
meetings.

·         Budget $137 for site, plus $___ for *Liquor permissions*, $___
Incidentals

·         WHEN?  April is best;  fewer events and more students. 4/16-17
has no Michigan events.

·         Island Park New Shelter is being HELD for us on Sunday April 17,
2016.

o   Charged as if we were a city resident, $137 for the whole day.

o   Check and *Tax number* to Parks and Rec to CONFIRM SITE.

o   734.794.6230. Offices at Cobblestone Farm Barn.

*Pentemere 12th Night 2017* DATE TBD

·         Bids should be submitted by the *first week of March, the 3/14
meeting*.

·         A Site is not yet Booked

·         2/15 Baron reports someone has expressed interest in stewarding

*Status check on Approved Budget Items:  *

*Baronial Trailer* Budget $3500-$3950       Black, 5’x12’x6’ single axle
covered, lights, hitch kit.

·         It is FINISHED!

·         Trailer will come to Daye & Pete’s this week, snow permitting

·         *Registration & Insurance:* Kay needs empty weight of trailer,
bill of sale, any docs we get, etc.  She will get State Registration and
send to SCA Inc for insurance.

*Royal Travel Fund Donation**  Ermenrich 10% of treasury, about $1000 *

·         *Tabled to 4/2016, until Terpsichore costs are known @ 2nd of 3
Meetings*

*Stickers with the Baronial Populace Badge* (and maybe name?) $60-100

·         No discussion

*Announcements:*

Grey is getting an order together for arrow shafts.  Please contact him to
get your needs into the shipment.

*Officer Reports                 2/22/2016*

Exchequer (Ilse) – $11,000

Webminister (Aaron) – The New Order of Precedence is up and running. Next
piece of that project is space for people to add their preferred titles and
pronouns, and texts of awards. The embedded Google Calendar is now even
better for use on phones.

Fencing Marshal (William) –

Min A&S (Aeffe) – Many Cynnabar Artists taught, displayed and attended
classes at Val Day.  Lady Kathryn’s basket brings home the Pentemere Pearl
for best display and documentation.  The Pearl will be displayed at
Terpsichore.

Min. Youth (Open) –

Chatelaine (Daye) – Several newer members were dressed for Val Day from the
Gold Key.  See also the request for more tubs for clothes. Daye is Happy.

Chronicler (Gavriil) – The Citadel is a bit behind.  He is reorganizing the
Newsletter to do a Geographic focus rather than a seasonal one.  First will
be southern Europe (Will this include the whole Mediterranean, Middle East
and Northern Africa?) Articles are welcome on ANYTHING from that area in
Society Period: food, clothing, history, books, arts, stories…. No cuts
will be made for space.  Digital publication can be unlimited, Kay notes.

Herald (Johannes) – Seeking a replacement

Knight Marshal (Gregor) – Seeking a replacement

Archery Marshal (Godaeth) – Thanks for supporting me for a second term!
There are many traditional archery events missing from the summer schedule,
due to 50 Year, but there will be lots of archery there.

Practices will begin soon. Arrow Dipping and Silk Banner Painting will
happen at Kay’s with some shooting, too.

We will shoot Royal Round Scores, and track everyone’s performance so
Archery Badges can be awarded. I will meet with Their Excellencies this
Thursday to start planning for this and more.

Seneschal (Kay) –  I am looking about for another Meeting Site on
campus.  Parking
is not what people wish. Any suggestions? Goal- Try something different in
summer.

Pay Pal Credit Card use at Event Gate, system as explained by Aelfric:   If
accepted for *PayPal Here* (CC at the door) Site MUST HAVE INTERNET ACCESS

a.      Kingdom will create the profiles of PAID MEMBERS to access the *PayPal
Here* Application (The person in charge of *PayPal Here* for the event is
called the Reservationist. May be the Gate Steward or a deputy. Must be
Paid Member)

b.      Kingdom will notify the Reservationist to instruct the MEMBERS
authorized to do the transactions that they can download the app to their
phone/tablet/laptop.

c.      A Kingdom Representative will come and train the MEMBERS doing *PayPal
Here*. This would most likely be AT THE EVENT, or some other Event where
the training can be held.

d.      After the event, Kingdom will generate a report of the transactions
and send a copy with a check to the reservationist

e.      Close down Group access to PayPal Here

Ilse pointed out that this may not be in place until late summer, and maybe
not in time for Grand Day. I will ask about it when we get closer to that
event.

*Words from the Baron and Baroness* (Kasha and Ermenrich) –

We will be away in Seattle for most of next week to see our newest nephew
and support our family.  If we are not quick to reply to messages please
understand.  [Congratulations!]

There Royal Majesties say they are looking forward to Terp.

It will be a busy Spring.  We look forward to it.