[Cynnabar] 20160627 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Minutes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Jun 29 11:20:48 UTC 2016

 20160627 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Minutes

Center Room, Pierpont Commons.  Workshops 6:30 to 7:15. _13 _ attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30.  _14 _ attendees.

Attending:  Birke, Grey, Aeffe, Godeath, Ermenrich, Kasha, Hannah,
Tairdelbach, Zygmunt, Johannes, Eadraed, Daeg, Peter, Ceara, Kay

*Workshop Topics:*  Tonight was: *Medieval Mustard by Baroness Hannah
Schreiber. *        o   Please tell Baroness Hannah Schreiber at
dawnlsinclair at gmail.com if you would like to present a workshop.  All
topics are of interest.

*July 11 - Royalty Matters by Mistress Giovanna. * This will be a workshop
discussing how to serve as a Royalty Liason, how to be a Retainer, and much
more.

*July 18 - Trans/Intersex/Third Gender in Medieval Times with Draco.* This
is the second portion of a two-part class where we will define gender
diversity terms and explore sex and gender minorities in both modern and
historical perspectives. This portion will be a round table discussion of
the themes and ideas presented in the first portion where we discussed how
the inclusion of minority groups can help with recruitment and retention in
the society.

BOOK CLUB! *The Return of Martin Guerre*, by Natalie Zemon Davis.  See a
Synopsis at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Return-Martin-Guerre-Natalie-Zemon/dp/0674766911 *Planned
Discussion: September.*

Meeting began at 7:30pm

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Celtic Festival (Saturday July 9, 2016)* Saline, Michigan. Baron
Tairdelbach. Budget >$100

·         Doing well.  The walk-down for the site is Thursday 7/1.

·         Friday set up Work Party  is at about 6:30 pm.  Ask Tairdelbach
what help is needed, please.

·         Saturday schedule:  Early Drop off of remaining gear.  Cars must
be off our site at 8 am.

·         Set up as needed and directed.  Event starts at 10 am. Aeffe
says: Early Demonstrators who can chat with visitors are very
important.  Baroness
Kasha says: Please remember to shift your attention to guests even if you
are engaged with friends when people come into your area.

·         Cynnabar Demos will start at Noon. Demos, archery, and combat
ends at 6 pm.

·         QUESTIONS:

o   Do we  have that White or Black  sandwich board to write activity times?
Genoveva may.

o   Please bring Red Table cloths to cover tables.

*Pennsic War (July 29-Aug 14, 2016)*

Pennsic on track.  105 Pre Registered to camp with Cynnabar. No word on a
Cam Things Work Day. Baroness Kasha is still seeking volunteers to help
with food for the 2 events on War Week Wednesday.

·         *Organizers for *food offerings for Known World Baronial Armored
Champions Tournament (fighter food and snacks for the barons and
baronesses),

·         *Organizers for *food offerings for the Baronial Potluck.

·         Any word yet about a work schedule making baronial camp items?

·          Barony Archery procession to shoot populace war point 2 pm.
Sunday, August 7th.

·         *Contact Forester Grey Oddson about loaner equipment by July 30.*

*Grand Day of Tournaments 2016 (Sat Nov 5, 2016)* Liberty School, Ann Arbor
Saline Road, Saline, MI. Ms. Giovanna Steward. Budget $1735. Breakeven 174.

                No Report

*Wassail 2016 (traditionally in December)* – Seeking Steward and Proposal.
Proposals due by July 11.  *Contact Baroness Kasha* if you are interested
or need more information.

Time to book the site.  Kay will contact the Site Tuesday and get list of
available December dates ASAP.  We will use 12/ 3, 10, or 17.

*Pentemere 12th Night Jan 7, 2017. THL Ceara *Hidden Springs Church,
Howell *Budget
$2700* Breakeven: 170(approx)

No news

*Old Business*

*Officer vacancies:*

Herald – 2nd of 3 meetings for approving Lord Eadraed, with Forester Grey
Oddson as his deputy.

·         No objections were raised tonight.

·         Kay asked a couple of conversation starter questions. Starting in
one area of heraldry and adding skills in other had some discussion.

Knight Marshal – Per THL Gregor: deadline for applying for the position is
July 17th.  Contact him for more information.

·         *Master Zygmunt* has applied to Gregor to be considered for the
post.  He explained his Marshalling resume Monday night.  He is warranted
as a Marshall in Rapier and Armored combat, has been Marshall for
Talonvale, and has worked as Marshall-in-Charge for Siege of Talonvale. He
has been training his dependants in both rapier and armored. He works with
people at all levels.

·         Wants to plan fun training with people

·         Questions to him included,* Why Cynnabar?  “*Because I am
interested in working in a larger group. I have the ability to get out more
now.”  The issue of distance from our practice was discussed.

·         Since the deadline for applicants is still some weeks away we
will not discuss Zygmunt’s application again until after that deadline has
passed. July 24 might be a good time.

Chatelaine –

·         The Honorable Lady Daeg spoke about her plan to train someone to
take over this post next Spring.  She said that her plan is to spend these
next 9 months coaching any and all people interested in this work in the
same way she was.

Minister of Youth –  No applicants

*Terpsichore at the Tower April 1, 2017 Lord Gavriil.* St Paul’s Church of
Christ, Saline MI. *B**udget $500* Breakeven: 50.  *Meeting 3 of 3
APPROVED*

·         Some Expense items are still being researched to determine actual
cost.  If more than the approve fudge factor is needed items will be put
before the Barony for approval.

·         Any word yet from the site to confirm the dates? No.

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

* New Gloves for Rapier Practice and Training Lady Birke.$120  1st of 3
meetings.  *

·         6 pair gloves at $20/ pair. Maximum $120.  Purchase will be 2
small, 2 medium, and 3 large cuffed gloves.

*Food & Supplies for Known World Baronial Champions Tourney at Pennsic.
Baron Ermenrich  $100.  1st of 3 Meetings*

·         Ermenrich requests funds to feed combatants and the gallery at
the Champions Tourney Cynnabar will sponsor at Pennsic War.  This will be
“fighter food” plus tea or other light beverage and snacks for the gallery.

·         Most discussion was over whether this was enough money.

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Tower’s Foundation Medallions* –some done in time for Court at Pennsic.

*Royal Travel Fund Donation*  Ermenrich *$500 *Reports Aelfric is aware and
will organize with Ilse.

*Baronial Trailer* *Budget $3500-$3950* Wood lining should be done for
Celtic Fest Transport.

 *Group discussion *

·         How are workshops doing?  It is six months since we started.

·         Baroness Hannah is ok with the process, but expressed regrets it
had not brought in students as was hoped.  She reports Morwen has been
promoting them to students.  There was agreement to continue.

·         Some other discussion of reactions and issues for presenters

 *Announcements*

Citadel deadline – July 3, Theme is “Directions: Western Europe.”

The *Fall recruitment will be discussed at the end of the July 11 Meeting*.
Daeg wants to think about what is best to do based on recent years turnout
and results.  It is time to book a room.  Kay sent a request to Hattie to
do that after consulting Daeg.

*Event Officer Reports*

Rapier Marshall (Deputy): Rapier is happening.  Often starts later than
noon.  No classes are offered during the summer.  Will start again in fall.

Knight’s Marshall:  On applicant for position

Arts & Sciences Minster:  Very successful Scribal Day at Hannah and
Tairdelbach home. Sending out a message to as the Barony to help and
demonstrate activities at Celtic Festival.

Herald:  The quarterly report is in.  I am training Eadraed as potential
replacement. A great turnout for the Baronial Herald Workshop last week,
presented by Kasha and Ermenrich.  Questions and interaction were provided
by “NPCs” in the group who had cue cards.

Chatelaine: Mass Meeting planning about to begin. Is it valuable to discuss
if we should have a mass meeting o do something else? [the group agrees and
we will discuss July 11]

Archery: Second month of practice is completed with only 1 weather
cancelation.  Royal Rounds are shot at all practices. We have 6 regular
attendees, including Ellen, Benedicta, Briana, the Finkleman family….
Forester Dillon has been asked to marshal at Celtic Festival.

Exchequer:  We have $12,000 on hand.  We are doing well. [via email]

Seneschal: The quarterly went in for May.  I am still open to a new site
for these meetings.  Close parking, no requirement to purchase food, but
food available or may be brought in. If you know of a likely place please
advise Kay.

*Words from Their Excellencies*

*Sleep and be rested for Celtic Festival.  Be prepared to talk to people
whenever they come near.*

*Pennsic Baronial Plans are almost final. See out website for activities
and days.*

*Send us Award recommendations. *Please look at the people you think
deserve recognition and write to us about them.  Check the Order of
Precedence if you are uncertain what to suggest they deserve.

We are still a Barony.

*Pennsic planning:* Baronial Court theme is, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

·         -*Monday evening, August 8*: Chivalric round tables.

·         -*Tuesday evening*, *August 9*: gambling and gaming.  With a
bardic performance.

·         -*Wednesday, August 10*: KW Baronial Armored Champions Tournament
hosted by Cynnabar; Camp potluck; Baronial Court.

·         -*Friday evening, August 12:* Eat it, Drink it, Burn it night,
followed by games. Sir Gregoire will organize activities.

·         Check the Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=k0tio33kag8m0pak3oc9dmmmls%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York>
for all dates and times.

​