[Cynnabar] 20170626 business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Wed Jul 5 02:55:14 UTC 2017

Many thanks to Godhit for running the meeting in my absence, and Aeffe for
being the scribe!

June 26, 2017  Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Meeting Steward: Godhit; Minutes Scribe: Aeffe

Sidetrack Bar & Grill, Ypsilanti

Workshop at 6:30:  8 attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30: 19 attendees.

Attending: Godhit, Aeffe, Jack Black, Bina, Rusuke, Morwen, Johannes,
Eadraed, Kasha, Ceara, Edonea, Jadzia, Martin, Aaron, Gavriil, Ermenrich,
Uillec, Ilse, Theo

*Workshop Topic:** Islamic Geometric Designs presented by Lady Albina
Gherardi (Bina Gerardi-Reid) *

Business Meeting began at 7:30p.m.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Celtic Fest Demo Saturday July 15, 2017 Demo *– Baron Tairdelbach, $100
snacks and drinks

·         Set up is the evening of Friday July 14.

·         This year we will do thrown weapons instead of archery.

Request up to $50 to replace axe handles / knives / spears that might get
damaged.

Handles run about $7 each and this should cover the anticipated need

*APPROVED!*

*Cook’s Symposium October 13, 14 & 15, 2017 *St Paul’s Church of Christ,
Saline MI. *Baroness Hannah, Steward. Budget $525; breakeven 66 attendees*

THL Ceara has placed a form on Facebook in both the Barony page and the
Crash and Pool page.  One person has contacted her so far.  If you can
offer overnight space to Cooks’ Symposium attendees contact Ceara.

*Grand Day of Tournaments- Nov 4, 2017 *Liberty School, Saline MI.*
Mistress Genoveva Steward. Budget $2260; breakeven 174 (may
change)            *

·         *Site is reserved. *Deposit should go to the school in July.

·         *Prize coins were available for inspection immediately after the
meeting.*

*Old Business*

Baronial office of chatelaine requests $200 to refill brochures &
pamphlets, to supply Celtic Festival and a possible November demo. Vote at
next (3rd) meeting.

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.       Exchequer – Lady Ilse has informed us of her intent to step down
as exchequer.  If you are interested in this position, please talk to her
or to Derian.

(See Announcements)

2.       Minister of Youth– Still seeking a Minister of Youth

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*Cynnabar Ruby Jubilee*: Baroness Kasha distributed a preliminary event
proposal to secure the date of Sept 14-16, 2018, at the Cedar Lake Outdoor
Center.

[Her Excellency distributed a hand-out of the plan, which is NOT a formal
“event proposal.”)

Her Excellency has asked a few people to fill staff positions but there is
room for anyone who is excited about the event and wants to do a particular
thing.  She and His Excellency want it to be “super-swanky.”

There is an amphitheater on site which may be scheduled for concert space.
There will be an indoor ball and a party, which will also be a venue for
possible music performances.

They are planning a team competition tournament similar to what is done at
Rose Tourney.  The Lodge is another space for music.

A formal proposal will be submitted at a later date.

It was noted that that date is the weekend after Tournament of Chivalry,
which is turning it into the “tournament of everything.” Godhit will
contact the Seneschal ASAP (ie, immediately this evening) to see if
Baroness can submit the date to the kingdom calendar. (Done!)

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Mistress Ursula, Herald. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21/16) ($32 spent 2/13,
disbursed 2/20/17) $42 remains to be spent. $16 of approved funds requested
on 6/12/17. *Lord Eadraed reported that the registration process is
continuing.

*Exchequer Office Supplies. $50.00-$75.00  *Exchequer Ilse reported that
Derian is following up with Kay and Ilse is satisfied with the process. It
was noted that the actual expenditure may have slightly exceeded what was
budgeted but not by much and was covered out-of-pocket.

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

*Announcement: Herald Night on Summer Hiatus until October 2. *Herald Night
has ended at the residence of Baron Tairdelbach and Baroness Hannah. This
coincides with its “summer hiatus.”  Please refer to the Herald’s official
report below for details.

*Announcement: Candidate for Exchequer:  *Jadwiga announced that she is
putting her hat in the ring for the office of Exchequer.  She has been
considering it for awhile.  She is excited about making new policies, and
making it easy for people to follow the rules and get things done.  She
would also like to create historical information about costs, etc., to help
event stewards.  She has experience as a small business owner.  She has
read the Exchequer handbook and has taken a class with the Kingdom
Exchequer.

Ilse can oversee the transition.

*Event Report: Observations regarding Youth Inclusion from Baron Wars. * Ceara
described the youth activities at the recent Baron Wars.  Cynnabar is well
known for youth activities.  During the event she never heard a child say
they were bored, nor did they pick up a phone or videogame.  Since we
haven't had a youth officer [in the Barony of Cynnabar] we've had a drop in
youth participation.  Can we change this?  Can we work as a group to
encourage families to be more involved?

Ceara notes that to be a youth officer: the requirements are online.  The
MOY is not required to hold the activities, but to organize them, explain
policy, talk to families, and assist other officers.  There is valuable
outreach to the rest of the family when they come to the youth table.
There is a difference between having a class schedule and having all-day
drop in activities.  Getting kids (14 and up) involved in what we do is
better than pushing them to youth activities.

Ceara added that the kids at Baron Wars did a quest designed to help them
find out what they can do to be involved, they participated in the A&S
challenge, and they passed out popsicles.  Good ideas that we can bring to
Cynnabar.

*Announcement/Reminder:  Wassail & 2018 events:  *It's time to start
thinking about Wassail!  We need to reserve the site at Chelsea if we want
it.  We need a date and a reservation.  Also Terpsichore and St. Cecilia
need to be placed on a the calendar.  Wassail is a good event to try out
being an event steward.

[There was general discussion and agreement that our Midrealm SCA event
calendar is already filling for next year, 2018, and that we must be
pro-active in reserving dates for our “usual” events.]

OFFICER REPORTS

*Chronicler*: the July Citadel deadline has been extended to July 1.  Have
your article to Godhit by then.  She will need your grant of use form
filled out.  Contact her if you need help with the form.  She is on
Facebook and email.

*Exchequer*: Ilse distributed the May budget report.  Account balance is
12K plus.  Some checks have not been cashed.  She has checked with the bank
... one is from January, and three are from March.  There is an outstanding
check in May.

Some of the cells on her spreadsheet are locked.  Ilse will refer the
problem to the Seneschal.

*Chatelaine*: Edonea is working on her stated goals, one of which is
sorting the Gold Key inventory.  She is calling for more volunteers
this Saturday July 1, 12-4 at Daye's house.  She is preparing a
project for Celtic festival A&S display.  She will post this request.

*Herald*: Eadraed reports that the most recent Herald and Scribe Night
had 15 in attendance.  This was our last meeting at their Excellencies
Hannah and Tairdelbach’s house.  Special thanks go to them for their
support.  We continue to register awards (with Mistress Ursula’s
help).  The current focus is on devices.  Ursula attended Known Worlde
heraldry symposium and has brought back valuable information.  Eadraed
is writing his quarterly report.  Though the regular heraldry meeting
is on hiatus, heralds will still be available via social media and
email.  He may try a roving herald's nights at various locations.  The
next official meeting will be on Oct. 2.  Look for more information
about this as the date draws closer.

*Minister of Arts and Sciences*: Aeffe asks: Please volunteer to
demonstrate period arts and crafts at Saline Celtic Festival.  It is a
great opportunity to meet the public and talk about the arts in the
SCA.

The next A&S quarterly report is due on July 15th.  The populace
reporting deadline will be July 10th.

We need workshop topics!  Even if you don’t want to be a speaker, let
the MOAS or Baroness know if there are topics you’d like to hear
about.

*Knights’ Marshal*: Zygmunt emailed his report to the Seneschal.

*Fencing Marshal* (William): no report.  Birke has emailed the group
asking for someone to be Williams’ administrative assistant.  The
group is not sure if you have to be an authorized fencer.

*Web Minister*: Aaron is continuing to help officers get set up with
website access.

*Baron and Baroness*: Their Excellencies went to three events in the
past three weekends and had a good time at each of them.  They saw a
lot of Cynnabarians helping with these events.  The assistance is
appreciated.  If you see someone helping, recommend them for an award.
Ermenrich noted that it is okay to give out Their Excellencies’ phone
number to members of the barony, and it is on the Cynnabar website.

We are still a barony.

Meeting ended:  8:20 p.m.

[Next Meeting:  Monday July 10, 2017, at Side Track in Ypsilanti]