[Cynnabar] 20170925 business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Mon Oct 9 16:24:33 UTC 2017

September 25, 2017  Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Journey of Faith Christian Church, Ann Arbor, MI

Pre-meeting workshop 6:30-7:30: 13 attendees

Meeting 7:30- 8:30: 19 attendees

Attending: Derian, Edonea, Giovanna, Godhit, Aeffe, Claire, Morwen, Hattie,
Malachy, Eadraed, Daeg, Gregoire, Johannes Jadzia, Martin, Ermenrich,
Kasha, Tairdelbach, Hannah
*Workshop Topic:* Service day: bag packing We'll spend this week's
pre-meeting workshop having fun packing gift bags with supplies for the
church to donate.  All materials provided.

Business Meeting began at 7:30p.m.

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Cook’s Symposium October 13, 14 & 15, 2017 *St Paul’s Church of Christ,
Saline MI. *Baroness Hannah, Steward. Budget $525; breakeven 66 attendees*

   - Classes are almost filled in. There are 28!
   - Website continually gets updated with any other class details as we
   have them.
   - Still working with Aelfric on the site access
   - Need volunteers for site set up and clean up -- please see Tairdelbach
   for information
   - Gate shifts are FILLED -- but we need some kitchen help (making
   coffee, taking lunch tickets), please
   - We have a vendor coming from Minnesota with COOL POTS to cook in the
   fire. Check out the event page on FB for photos
   - Hotel block closed 9/28
   - Sign up for Friday night lecture went out last week, 9 signed up so
   far. Please be reminded that we'd like to keep this open to out of town
   guests, first. The Library has agreed to do another lecture at a later date
   for locals if this generates that much interest!
   - Dinner will be a potluck!  Period-esque foods are highly suggested,
   contact Baroness Hannah for information on easy go-to period items.
   - Sunday will be Brewery Becker tour at noon.  Come and drink beer!  Any
   number of people can attend, multiple tours will happen if we have lots of
   people.
   - Ad was in the Pale
   - Promoting on Facebook all month (see today's 9/18 Bacon post!)

*Grand Day of Tournaments- Nov 4, 2017 *Liberty School, Saline MI.*
Mistress Genoveva Steward. Budget $2260; breakeven 174 (may
change)            *

·         *Site is reserved. *Deposit is not required because we have been
diligent at paying on time.  They will bill us after the event.

·         Staff meeting occurred!  Everything is going well, setup and
teardown volunteers needed!  Please let mistress Genoveva know.  Another
staff meeting will occur in October.

·         There will be a vigil (Zuriel)!  Parking lot has been resurfaced
and reorganized; more parking spots in front of the building.

·         School has confirmed we have three meeting rooms, for royalty /
scribal, meetings, and A&S

*Old Business*

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.       Minister of Youth– Still seeking a Minister of Youth

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*Cynnabar Ruby Jubilee: * Baroness Kasha, $6,250. September 14th-16th,
2018.

·         Break-even is 250; 209 adults if everyone camps, 313 adults if
everyone daytrips Saturday.  Fewer if people rent cabins.

·         This event is not planned to make money.  Currently expecting
$1000 loss based on attendance projections.

·         Event proposal reviewed (see link TBD)

·         Site reservation to occur in October 2017.  Proposed backup site
is Wayne County Fairgrounds if Cedar Lake falls through.

·         Preliminary website up.

·         If you  are interested in helping out or taking a staff position
please contact Baroness Kasha

·         One set of cabins / tent camping area designated as quiet area

·         Preliminary map available

·         No staking in the septic area, this will be marked

·         We should very clearly spell out what our site fee includes

The event proposal was discussed in depth.  Concerns raised included
attendance numbers / cost, the size of the parking areas, and the bundling
of food in with the site fee.  We will continue to discuss this proposal
for at least an additional week.  Second of n meetings (n ≥ 4)

*Wassail, December 16th 2017, Chelsea fairgrounds,* *Albina Gherardi
(Bina), $850 (including $200 refundable deposit) *

Wayne county fairgrounds as a site, it is in a shared zip code.  Date is
scheduled (Dec 16th), $450 for the day, plus a $200 refundable deposit.  We
can still have our Yule fire.

Third of three meetings

*APPROVED*

*Lunch Tavern at Grand Day of Tournaments* – *$600, Lady Ilse*, $6 a
head, break
even 100 meals.  Similar menu to last year.  $500 original proposal, bumped
up to $600 by group, may need to plan to feed more folks since we will have
Royalty at the event.   Third of three meetings; adding a week to get
Ilse’s opinion on the increased budget.

*New event.  Ancient Imaginings: An Exhibition of Modern Photography - $500
Lady Daye, November 2018, Riverside Art Center, Ypsilanti MI.  *Month long
display of SCA photography, plus a wine and cheese reception (date TBD).
$200 fee for the show, $275 for wine + cheese + napkins, $25 for
Informational PR cards to stay at the Riverside Art Center for the month.
Per exchequer handbook, the group cannot spend funds on wine, except for
small amounts for cooking.  Could we arrange extra hours for the weekend of
GDoT?  Should not plan the have the gala too close to GDoT.  Shipping
details to be figured out.  Third of three meetings

*APPROVED*

*School year has started again!* Lady Harriet of Cynnabar. Fest of fall was
last Friday, thank you to everyone who contributed time and stuff.  We got
48 new signups! We would like to hold a small demo for the new students.
October 8th, 12pm-4pm.  Pizza and videos provided by the student group
account.  Look for an announcement on Facebook.

*Ypsi GLOW, community unity event / parade / block party, Friday October
27th.*  Lady Edona – do we want to do a demo at this event?  We could do a
parade + table with information.  There are also workshops every Sunday
afternoon in October 11am-3pm.  Follow-up meeting with event organizer
scheduled.

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Lunch tavern at cook’s symposium, Baroness Hannah for Renaude de Lunay,
$425*

*Dame Ursula / Lord Eadraed, Heralds. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21/16, $32
disbursed 2/20/17, $16 disbursed 7/10/17) $26 remains to be spent. *Lord
Eadraed reported that the registration process is continuing.

First batch of items have gone through, three order names accepted,
Elephant’s tusk is pending

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

*OFFICER REPORTS*

*Min A&S (Aeffe)* –
Working with Mistress Genoveva to come up with an A&S tournament at GDoT.

*Chronicler (Godhit)* –
Fall Citadel is in production.

*Exchequer (Jadwiga)* –
Sent in report for August, updating it with new information.  New project
is determining yearly expenses.

*Herald (Eadraed)* –
Lots of people in the Barony have received awards in the last few months.
Purple pretty for camp staff, purple fret for Kasha, dragon’s tooth for
Harkin, Finn made court baron, Moneyer’s guild got purple pretty, scribes
got a royal augmentation of arms of a golden quill (six or seven in
Cynnabar, see the list online).  Dame Ursula has been spearheading the
awards and orders registration, working on device designs.  Report due at
the end of the month, will be submitted this week.  Herald’s nights
starting up again next Monday at Derian & Ursula’s, starting at 7:30.
Potluck as before.

*Knight Marshal (Zygmunt)* –

We are still looking into a fighting site for the winter. Hjorleif has a
line on a place.  Not getting a lot of feedback from the potential site,
please start looking for a winter practice site!

*Fencing Marshal (William) *–

No report

*Chatelaine (Edonea)* –

Currently restructuring pamphlet design, we ran out of materials that were
printed during the summer, will be reprinting more soon.  Have been
scouting new demo opportunities.

*Webminister (Aaron) *

- All relevant parties are now in agreement that we CAN post group images
to the web site so long as we have permission (i.e. a release form) from
the photographer. We do NOT need individual model releases for group photos.

- I revised the text on the Armored Combat/Knight Marshal page at Malachy's
suggestion to make it more outward facing and in particular to make it more
clear what newcomers should expect.

*Seneschal (Derian)*

New meeting site seems to be working out fairly well; I have received lots
of positive feedback on the location.  We need event stewards for our
spring events, please consider volunteering.

*Baron and Baroness (Kasha and Ermenrich)* –
We are going to crown tournament and will be swearing fealty there.  We
will be sending bi-annual state of the barony report within next few days.
If you have anything that should be included please drop them a line.  HRM
will be at Cook’s symposium, do not know if there will be court yet.
Please put in award recommendations for both cook’s symposium and GDoT.
Baronial court may be held at one of those events depending on what their
majesties do.  We are still a barony.

*Announcement/Reminder:  Wassail & 2018 events:  *It's time to start
thinking about Wassail!  We need to reserve the site at Chelsea if we want
it.  We need a date and a reservation.  Also Terpsichore and St. Cecilia
need to be placed on the calendar.  Wassail is a good event to try out
being an event steward.

Now is the time to start working on your prizes for Grand Day of
Tournaments!  If you are going to make something by hand, start now!  If
you can get pictures of your donation, they can be very effective publicity
for the event.

Claire: baronial directory?  We talked about this about a year ago, there
seemed little interest in updating this.  Do we want to do this again?  We
would need to talk about what information we collect, where it would be
displayed (printed only?), etc.

Johannes: student group at EMU has been established!  Five members have
signed up!

Alanna – official count for Canton demo, about 90!  Seems like more than
last year.  Six new email addresses.

Hannah – The Barony’s scribal guild will be meeting at Hannah and
Tairdelbach’s on oct 23rd , at least five hours.

Forester Godhit: Closing of the range is probably not happening this year
due to a highly compressed schedule in the fall.

HRM has posted a number of things regarding events during Their reign.  A&S
faires are undergoing significant changes; check out the new rules in the
Pale or the Midrealm gazette.

Meeting ended:  8:57 p.m.

[Next Meeting:  Monday October 9th, 2017, at Journey of Faith church
in Ann Arbor]