[Cynnabar] 20180219 baronial business meeting notes

Cynnabar Seneschal via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Mon Feb 26 13:33:10 EST 2018

 February 19, 2018 Barony of Cynnabar Business Meeting Notes

Journey of Faith Christian Church, Ann Arbor, MI

Meeting 7:30- 8:30: 9 attendees

Attending: Derian, Jack, Ermenrich, Johannes, Jadzia, Kasha, Tomoe,
Eadraed, Alana
Business Meeting began at 7:32 pm

*Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos*

*Terpsichore, Midair MacCormaic*, April 21, 2018, $550, St Paul’s in Saline.
The site is available, same setup as prior years.  Lunch tavern will be a
separate proposal.  If you want to learn how to run an event, this is a
great one to be deputy steward for! Breakeven is around 55 adults, last
year we had 139 attendees.  It is on the kingdom calendar.

·        Siri Toivosdottir will be the band leader

·        Call for teachers has been sent out.

·        We are on the calendar at the church, need to get a copy of the
contract.

·        Check has been handed off to Hideyasu to send to the church

·        Facebook event and webpage are up!

*St Cecila, Aeffe Torsdottir, May 12th – 13th, 2018, $450*, People’s
Presbyterian church in Milan, where Hannah and Tairdelbach’s investiture
was.  The sanctuary was built for piano concerts, so it has good acoustics.
Kitchen, spacious fellowship hall, lounge, two small classrooms, and a
royalty room.  Sunday site TBD.  Site: $250, Salon Food: $100, Printing
$50, Incidental costs $50.  Breakeven is 90 people at average of $5
donation.   Red spears has approved the date!  Performance space site on
Sunday is still needed.

·        Jadzia has created a website and facebook event, and is contacting
potential teachers.  If you know someone who is interested in teaching a
period music class, please contact Jadzia.

·        We still need:

o   A site for Sunday activities on May 13th

o   Lunch and dinner tavern stewards.  Contact Aeffe if you are interested
in running a tavern.  High level help has been offered.

o   Gate helpers are needed!

o   Setup and cleanup help.  Since this is a new site we are especially
keen to leave a good impression

·        Site deposit check has been accepted by the church

·        Call for teachers to be sent soon

·        Pale advertisement submitted

·        Siri will run a big sing at the event

*Cynnabar Ruby Jubilee: * *Baroness Kasha, August 31st – September 2nd,
2018, $6,250.*

·        Break-even is 250; 209 adults if everyone camps, 313 adults if
everyone daytrips Saturday.  Fewer if people rent cabins.

·        Event proposal reviewed (see link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wpbBpDV46BEcuM2aI29OgdmPVyC7ZkYJEJp-fjo8KI/edit?usp=sharing
)

·        Preliminary website up.

·        If you  are interested in helping out or taking a staff position
please contact Baroness Kasha

·        One set of cabins / tent camping area designated as quiet area

·        No staking in the septic area, this will be marked

·        There are approximately 125 parking spots, plus roughly 30
overflow parking spots further away.

·        Deposit check and SCA insurance checks (alcohol, golf cart,
supplemental site) have been sent in.  Insurance has been paid, final
contract with the site is in the works.

·        We will want alcohol donations…

·        Site walk-through report from 12/30/17, Malachy reports: Prelim
site survey: using Vikings Come Home site layout as a model, there is
plenty of space for all of the activities we have planned.  The dining hall
is a bit small to have everyone on site in it.  We may want to consider
using a tent.  Figuring out an optimal parking layout will be a thing we
need to do.  Once the snow melts we can go out there and take some
measurements.  Cell service is spotty, we will want to use radios.  The
site is perfect in most ways!

·        Preliminary plans for the history display have been made.

·        Preliminary schedule for the event has been developed.  Parties,
craftsperson faire, tournaments, dancing!

·        Full website is in the works.

*Old Business*

*Wassail, December 16th 2017, Wayne County fairgrounds,* *Albina Gherardi
(Bina), $850 (including $200 refundable deposit) *

Wayne county fairgrounds as a site, it is in a shared zip code.  Date is
scheduled (Dec 16th), $450 for the day, plus a $200 refundable deposit.  We
can still have our Yule fire.

·        We have not received our deposit back.  It was sent to the PO box,
which no longer exists.  It will get returned, and sent to Jadzia’s address.

·        If you have thoughts about what you liked or did not like about
the site, please let us know.

·        We lost $80 on the event

*Officer vacancies to be filled:*

1.      Minister of Youth– Still seeking a Minister of Youth

*New Business* (includes items potentially requiring budget outlays)

*Future fighter practice / meeting space Malachy & Derian *– Looking at
possibilities for future site since we are losing access to the union.  There
is a non-profit in Ypsi called Growing Hope, they have a building next to
the Ypsi farmer’s market site that is big enough for fighting.  It is
currently undergoing renovations.  Preliminary pricing is $50 / hr while
under construction.  $100 / hr while under construction (Thursday
nights).  This
might be possible at $50 / hr, but $100 / hr is probably too much.  Can we
do something else instead?  It is common for other SCA groups to combine
activities, fighting, A&S, business meeting could all happen at one place.  Do
they have storage space we could use?  What about a space at EMU?  Should
we pursue trying to negotiate with Growing Hope?  What about other
sites?  Cavalry
Baptist Church ecorse in YPsi (near the cow).  St Thomas in Ann Arbor
(Kerrytown) on Division?  Derian and Malachy will lead the search – if you
have leads for them, please send them along (email preferred).

*Spring Revel – Alana *Sunday April 29th, $300 budget, $210 for site, $90
for charcoal, garbage bags, etc.  Island park pavilion just like last year,
gate fee: $0 *APPROVED*

*Terpsichore lunch tavern-* Jack and Bina, $500.  Roasted chicken, carrots,
celery, hummus, rolls, apple or cookie, and a drink.  $5 a plate, 100 to
break even.  Second of three meetings

*Status check on approved budget items*

*Lunch tavern at cook’s symposium, Baroness Hannah for Renaude de Lunay,
$425 budgeted, *income of $284 at the event.  Receipts TBD, 71 tickets sold

*Dame Ursula / Lord Eadraed, Heralds. $100 ($36 disbursed 11/21/16, $32
disbursed 2/20/17, $16 disbursed 7/10/17) $26 remains to be spent. *Lord
Eadraed reported that the registration process is continuing.

First batch of items have gone through, three order names accepted, Argent
buttress is pending.  Need to work on badge design to finish spending the
budget.

*Announcements** & Group Discussion*

Dance practice is scheduled!  They are booked and will be baronial calendar
soon.

Their Excellencies have appointed Godhit as Their court historian.  Among
her duties will be reporting on current events in the barony, writing a
blog, heading up baronial history projects as we move to our 40th
anniversary celebration.

*Meeting ended:  **8:11 pm*

[Next Meeting:  Monday February 26th, 2018, at Journey of Faith church
in Ann Arbor]