[Cynnabar] Cynnabar' Armored Combat Practice 7/8/21

Cynnabar University via Barony barony at cynnabar.org
Sat Jun 26 10:00:00 EDT 2021

You are invited to attend the Barony of Cynnabar' Armored Combat Practice.
Located at Hickory Woods Park, 5415 Crane Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 on
Thursday, 7/8/21 at 7pm until darkish for armored combat fight practice.

It will be helpful if you respond to the Facebook event
<https://fb.me/e/3JATMH563> with interested or going so we can have an idea
about who will be in attendance.

Please feel free to attend if you are not fighting, if you're new, if you
want to do rapier practice as well (although I'm not in charge of
organizing that so please contact Throcky if you're interested so he can
help you do that within the rules), or just to hang out.

There are park bathrooms, good lighting, good parking, and shade as well as
open grass. We will eventually be moving back to the church once they get
comfortable to open again, but this is next door to the loaner armor
storage and easy access from the highway.

Loaner armor is available off-site, but MUST be arranged in advance so we
can be mindful of the owners of the property where it is kept. Please
contact me or Sir Jasen if you need to use it.

We will be observing all of the requirements and regulations of the Kingdom
and BoD.

A Note:
Fight practice will be somewhat different going forward. Sir Jasen will be
joining us as a Trainer or Instructor at the beginning of practice to get
us warmed up and to begin a training program that intends to improve
fundamental skill sets every fighter needs.

Each practice will look like:
-a warm-up
-a drill or skill set to practice
-a few notes to work on during sparring
- a bit of homework suggestion
- and then normal sparring or a tourney to close out the evening.

Sir Jasen is there to teach and assist with proper form during the class
time. Much of this work will be in pairs or small groups and is aimed at
building fundamentals.

We will be making extensive use of boffer weapons so if you have one,
please bring it with you regularly. Consider building a sword if you don't
already have one. Most of our work will be aimed at weapon and shield to
begin with.

I am not afraid to say that this requires buy-in from the top of the skill
level to the newest novice. We may be doing what seems very trivial or
simple to an experienced fighter, but we are pulling in the training
techniques collected by the folks at the SCA Coaches Corner to start
training these skills. New fighters Known World-wide have overwhelmingly
said they want more martial arts style training and we are responding to
that request. That requires a group effort.
To that end, we are also mindful of different comfort levels and will not
require anyone to participate if they do not want to participate. There is
plenty of park space to allow for private sparring or warm-up.

So please join us in what will be the first in what we plan on being weekly
sessions of practice.

Please contact me with any questions or concerns or if you need to arrange
to pick out loaner armor: cynnabar.marshal at midrealm.org

In Service,
Baroness Jorun Aragunnrsdottir, GKM

Please note:
Although the SCA complies with all applicable laws to ensure the health and
safety of our event participants, we cannot eliminate the risk of exposure
to infectious diseases during in-person events. By participating in the
in-person events of the SCA, you acknowledge and accept the potential
risks. You agree to take any additional steps to protect your own health
and safety and those under your control as you believe to be necessary.

For more information on the SCA re-opening visit
https://midrealm.org/reopening/