[Cynnabar Dance] Fwd: [Cynnabar] Questions regarding SCA membership

Aaron Elkiss aelkiss at umich.edu
Thu Mar 3 15:58:28 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anne Stevenson <elaine242 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Subject: [Cynnabar] Questions regarding SCA membership
To: cynnabar <barony at cynnabar.org>

Good afternoon everyone!

As some of you know, I am taking over the position of Baronial
Chatelaine. I first want to thank Lady Amyon for all of her fantastic
hard work and enthusiasm throughout her time as Chatelaine!!  I hope
that I can use my experience and energies to continue her hard work in
assisting the Barony with recruitment.  In addition to recruitment, I
also plan to focus my attention on the subject of membership
retention, so that we not only bring in new members to the Society,
but also keep hold of valued members.

Getting started - I have a couple of survey-type questions that I
would like to ask you regarding how you got into the SCA, what
interested you about the SCA, and why you stay (or don't stay) around!
 Please feel free to email me your answers off-list. Rest assured that
I will certainly keep anything you say private should you wish to be
completely candid.

Hopefully this information will assist me learning more about who
Cynnabar's target audience is, the demographics of our core membership
base, what parts of the SCA originally interested our members, what
keeps out members active or in-active, and what we can do to improve
both member recruitment and membership retention.  Again - I
appreciate the help!!

1. How long have you been involved in the SCA?

2. How did you first learn about the SCA and what circumstances caused
you to get involved?

3. Would you consider yourself an active or inactive member?  How many
hours per/week do you feel you spend participating in SCA activities?

4. If you are not active, but are still a member of the Society, what
keeps you from participating?

5. If you are involved, what types of activities do you participate in?

6. What types of activities are you interested in, but don't
participate in?  Why?

7. How do you feel your local group could recruit more effectively?

8. If you are no longer an active member, but once were, what changed?

9. Are their activities or other situations which would cause you to
get more involved again?

10. What do you feel your local group could do to retain members more
effectively?

11. Do you have children and if so, does this affect your ability to
participate in SCA activities?

12. What is your age? Gender? Occupation?

Feel free to not answer any question you do not feel comfortable with.
 However, the more detailed information I receive the better informed
I (and the group in general) can be about recruitment and membership
retention planning.

Thank you so very much!!

Yours,

Giovanna