[Cynnabar] Thrones: meeting minutes

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 16:45:45 EST 2009

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting. I had a job to finish. However, if
I had been there I would have made a motion that the pros and cons of
the $2,000 throne idea would be made known to the list serve so that
the membership would know what they would be paying for and what the
rational for spending so much money would be.

I now formally make that request. I sincerely hope that other members
who also think it would be wise to talk more openly about such a huge
budgeted item will  join my plea for a more open discussion by also
asking for more information and time on this matter.

I also would like to make a motion that voting on this item be
postponed until after this information is given and the group has had
a chance to discuss it outside of the meeting.

Why? Because this is a HUGE expense that seems to have a shaky
justification, and it affects all of us, not just the few lucky
people who can make every monday night meeting.

I did a bit of asking around and I would also like to suggest that
the group should consider making the decision in stages. The first
question ought to be- Do we really need new thrones? Then, if we
think it would be a good idea, to decide what kind of new thrones and
what amount we would want as a cap for the budget. There are lots of
options for reasonable thrones, and unless someone was mentioned in
the meeting, we don't even have anybody lined up with design or cost
proposals. Shouldn't THAT be done between deciding we want thrones
and approving money?

One additional comment. I do a LOT of gilding and am very
knowledgeable in this.I have to give a strong caution against
commissioning gilding on wood thrones.  It will abrade off very soon
under the typical uses the thrones would encounter, no matter how
well they are stored and protected. The only two options for
imitating genuine gold gilding are the use of bronze leaf (absolutely
needs a sealer), or using gold colored paint. Genuine gold (which is
part of the cost of this proposal if I understand correctly) would be
a really costly mistake.

YIS,

RanthulfR

On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Pat West wrote:

> Thrones
> The proposal to budget up to $2000.00 for new thrones is still
> being discussed.  This was the second meeting.
> *****The vote will be taken at the next meeting.
> ********

Randy Asplund
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103