[Cynnabar] Is peameal back bacon period?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Aug 24 20:48:28 EDT 2010

An easy way to survey period bacon recipes is use medievalcookery.com
and use the cookbook search feature. http://www.medievalcookery.com/cgi/search.pl?term=bacon&file=all

You are often instructed to boil or bake a gammon of bacon, rolling it
in peameal ????
Sometimes it is cooked with benes or peas....

Otherwise, James Villas in The Bacon Cookbook defines it as:

Peameal bacon: Authentic lean "Canadian bacon" cut from the eye of the
pig loin; sweet pickle-cured, unsmoked, and coated in peameal or
yellow cornmeal. Available in slabs or slices.

It isn't made from pork bellies but from the pork loin. I have sources
that indicate that it is par-baked.

It may not be that old.

Peameal definition
During the war years, yellow peas were ground up into meal. Canadian
bacon was rolled in this meal. This ensured better curing, shelf life
and avoided bacterial problems. Over the years, this tradition was
changed to cornmeal, due to the availability of corn.

The war being mentioned is given as turn of the last century.
http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/pork-tenderloin/pork-faq.shtml

The Canadian Oxford Dictionary simply says
peameal bacon

→ noun  (Cdn)
back bacon rolled in a coating of fine cornmeal.
- ORIGIN from the former practice of coating cured meats in a meal of
ground dried peas

That's the only entry in the Oxford Reference Online database for the
term.
OED under pea meal includes this quotation -note date-
1993 Toronto Life June (Food Guide) FG14/3 There are North American
concessionsThe Butchers' own pastrami and peameal bacon.

HE Tairdelbach mentioned Zingermans. The blog entry  at Zingermans
says in part:
Canadian Peameal Bacon

by Ari Weinzweig	 · July 24, 2008 ·

Canadian Bacon is a pickled eye of pork loin, and, seemingly has its
origins in the work of Wiltshiremen who came over to Canada. Compared
to American bacon, it’s: a) a different cut (a lot leaner than
American bacons, which are made from pork belly), b) cured in a wet
brine, c) not smoked, d) rolled in cornmeal.

While the latter is fairly common with stuff like catfish, best I can
tell, this makes it completely unique in the bacon world. From what
I’ve learned over the years, the rolling wasn’t any big brilliant
culinary thing, but really just a practical solution to a practical
issue. “In the ‘olden’ days, you would go to the grocery store,
ask the meat counter for your “Peameal Bacon,” I learned from
Canadian born, now living in the U.S bacon importer, Ken Haviland.
“They would grab a hook,” he told me, “pull a loin out of the
brine solution, roll it in cornmeal, package it up, weigh it, sticker
it and hand it to you.”

With that in mind though, I’ve always wondered about the origin of
the “peameal” name; the question came up because when I really
thought about I realized that it was a bit odd since all the Canadian
bacon I’ve ever come across was rolled, as I said above, in cornmeal
I’ve never understood why the stuff isn’t called “cornmeal
bacon.” The answer, apparently, is that Canadian bacon was originally
rolled in ground dried yellow peas, but later that was changed to the
more readily available cornmeal.

Folks from Canada, and in some case from areas up near the border, are
pretty darned passionate about this bacon. As is true for grits in the
South, peameal bacon can carry big emotional attachments up north.
Just asking about peameal evoked a whole lot of info, emotion and some
good culinary story telling. Seriously, all you have to do is talk to
a couple Canadians (or close-to-Canada Americans like Ms. Stevens) and
you start to realize that peameal bacon sandwiches, while pretty much
unknown down here, are about the equivalent up there of pastrami in
Manhattan or cheese steaks in Philadelphia. Iconic is starting to
sound like understatement. I’d ask all my Canadian relatives about it
but of course they all keep kosher so Canadian bacon is just something
they’d seen signs for in the market when they went shopping.

Molly Stevens, author of the award-winning book Braising is one of the
latter. She grew up in Buffalo, close enough to Canada that Canadian
bacon and hockey were both a big deal for her family. “In my
family,” she started out, “for some reason, it’s long been one of
those ritual foods.” For me, Canadian bacon is just one more option
on a long list cured pork options, and, in honesty, not in my top two
or three. But for Molly (and I’m sure many others like her), is as
much about emotion and memorable family meals as it is about the pork.

The List at SCA Cooks might be able to shed more light if you want
more opinions.

Hope this helps

Johnnae llyn Lewis