[Cynnabar] Is peameal back bacon period?

Art Sinclair tairdelbach at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:36:35 EDT 2010

Sadly my only historical bacon resource, Zingerman's Guide to Better Bacon,
does not discuss the origin dates of Peameal bacon...though it does suggest
that it is primarily a Canadian thing...which would place it out of period.
However it seems logical that it is a technique that came from the Old
World...but unfortunately I also cannot find any references to it other than
as a Canadian variety. Given the similarities in curing and cut to Irish and
other bacons of the British Isles it makes sense that if there is an old
world origin for the technique that you'd find it by looking deeper into
those varieties.

Tairdelbach

They deem me mad for I will not sell my days for gold; I deem them mad for
they think my days have a price.
-- Kahlil Gibran