[Cynnabar] Is peameal back bacon period?

David Vincent dvincent0864 at att.net
Tue Aug 24 17:49:24 EDT 2010

Some of you may know what this is.  Cured meat certainly is period, but I am not
having much success searching the various SCA online resources for the peameal
coating.  Originally, the coating was meal from ground dried yellow peas, but
changed to yellow cornmeal when corn was brought back from the new world (I
haven't been able to find out exactly when this occurred).

Anybody have any idea where this information may be found, especially the
variation using yellow peas?  I was hoping peameal bacon had some period
references, because it's so easily made and economical relative to the
commercial product.  Would make a good subject for a workshop or class.

Vincent