[Cynnabar] Check your chin straps fighters...

randyasplund at comcast.net randyasplund at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 10:52:12 EST 2011

I was in one of those fights once. I was fighting Charles Whitehorse at a demo in the Jackson Mall. I swung, he tried to duck out by tipping his head (which not only changed where his head was, but actually lifted the lower edge of his helm). So naturally, my sword caught that bottom edge and lifted. Off came the helmet, and between my blow and the motion of his dodge, it flew 3 feet sideways and chipped the wall!
Charles didn't even feel the helmet come off, but he still turned white...

The funniest was with Ian McIan back in the early 1980s. We both had our brand new helmets we had built in the art school out of 16 ga. steel (the lightest allowed). It was a demo, and I don't think Ian had actually installed a chin strap yet...
Well, in the midst of the fight I threw a riser, and he tried to pull back, so my tip caught just below his chin and his helmet flew straight up like a bottle rocket and landed with a clank on the floor well behind him.
Then he squared off to continue...
I called hold. (I expect so did everybody else)
He asked "why?"
I said "Because you're not wearing a helmet!
I guess he must have blinked .
It was hysterical.

RanthulfR