[Cynnabar] A "minor" bit of censorship

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Thu May 12 15:25:00 UTC 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Matt Lagemann wrote:

> Also know that I cannot publish any picture that has a recognizable
> minor.

Wow. With no way to even trace that minor, the SCA has sunken into all
new lows of paranoid delusion. As an educator and someone who has
worked with kids on and off his whole life, I'm just appalled. This
ranks right down there with the idea that having loudspeakers at the
airport monotonously reporting that there is an "elevated security
level orange" ( whatever that means- it never changes) somehow makes
us safer.

Once upon a time (back when no predators of children existed anywhere
at all),  people used to print newspapers and magazines, church group
photos, cub scout and brownie pictures in newsletters, and even
magazines, which would have loads of fully recognizable children of
all ages in them. They even.... PUBLISHED THEIR NAMES!
AAAaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Then the internet came along and now somebody in Phoenix AZ, Moscow,
or Katmandu can see the anonymous children of the SCA right along with
every other kid walking on the sidewalk or in a playground. Wow, how
frightened we should all be.....

Oh wait, don't magazines, newspapers, church and children's
organizations STILL publish photos of minors on the net??? Gee, I
guess they must be really stupid to think they can "get away" with
that, eh? They need to get with the program! They should all embrace
extreme paranoia, just like the corporate SCA! Watch out for Aqualung!
Quick, where's a big, airtight box where we can all hide? Freedom is
out of fashion where frivolous legal liability is concerned. You can't
do this anymore. You can't do that either. Now you can't share a great
moment your kid had, or let them feel part of something. You aren't
allowed. But don't you feel -SAFE?

Just sayin',

RanthulfR

Randy Asplund
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103