[Cynnabar] A "minor" bit of censorship

David Hoornstra dhoorn123 at comcast.net
Fri May 13 21:49:49 UTC 2011

I too thank our chroniclers for the thankless task they do. I did that in an
era not so long ago when we were not successful enough to be targets for
lawsuits.

I did get out of the journalism career many years ago, but the last I heard,
any photo of a public event is news and part of freedom of the press. So the
local paper (if there is one) can publish a photo of us that we members
can¹t even put in our private club paper.

THIS is the picture that is REALLY wrong. Like other areas of American
social life, our organization has suffered from the exploitation of
generalized fear. We are ALL victims when people promote the idea that our
government should be abolished because it¹s not tough enough or that our
society is not American enough or that we have to ³fight² this or that.

Paranoia is a tool the despots use to keep the common people clinging to
delusions of ³protection² and ³security² and vote them ever more restrictive
laws and ever soaring ³defense² budgets. They also love it when you take out
more insurance because they profit twice by your fear.

Note that I¹m too paranoid to single out specific despots. And I did ask
everyone¹s permission before sending Sword Club photos to our web person.
And even the Sword Club, which has no age limits, has a waiver.

Paranoia is an easy tool to use, but a difficult one to counter. It cannot
be fought. It has to be de-valued.

Therefore, for the sake not only of our newsletters but for the greater
success of ours and all organizations which seek only to enrich our lives, I
entreat everyone to seek more opportunities for behaviors that encourage and
reinforce trusting relationships and help the world climb down.

Daibbhid