[Cynnabar] Reduced site fee for teachers/musicians/work

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Tue Sep 13 22:24:40 UTC 2011

I agree.

There are special circumstances that may warrant paying for a guest.
I've had many SCA groups ask me to come teach at their events in far
away parts of the USA, and one in Sweden (where I met Arin). I tell
them the only way I can get there is if they can pay for the flight
food and lodging (I am ok with staying in homes and I don't abuse it
by making them buy a hotel room and take me out for meals). I've
traveled to teach several times under these circumstances and they
have always said it was quite worth while. Double Wars always invites
a guest and flies them over from the USA. So not only is there
precedent in the SCA, it actually works out rather well.

Its not about the money so much as doing something special and coming
up with a way to be able to pay for it. Only the group can decide if
what they have in mind is special enough to warrant the expense. My
advice is to work out with the guest what the expectations are from
them teach or not, play music X amount, etc.) and let them know up
front what you can offer them in return. And if you have multiple
guests, you need to figure out why one is important enough to pay for
and others may not be. Fair is not just fair, fair is also tact.

RanthulfR

On Sep 13, 2011, at 4:15 PM, andrew at prometheusmotionpictures.com wrote:

> Building off of Greg's conclusions, I would support spending the
> money in pursuit of good events.  I would glady support comping a
> Duke or 7 to get them to come to Grand Tourney, and imagine the
> dancers feel the same way.  Following the same path, I would imagine
> that in short order the event in question would gain great prestige
> and well exceed the cost of the "seed money".
>
> Best,
> Hjorleif
>

> On September 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM Greg Less <greg.less at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi All-
> >
> > I certainly understand reduced/comped site fees for non-SCA
> members and or
> > specially invited guests of honor. These should be considered in
> the cost of
> > the event as, at least ostensibly, these guests would increase the
> renown of
> > the barony and be part of the attraction to the event.
> >
> > When we extend this courtesy to anyone who is teaching/performing
> however,
> > it strikes me that we are in essence paying certain members of the
> Society
> > to partake in the hobby, while asking other members to subsidize
> their fun.
> >
> > That being said, it could be that Terpsichore is the exception to
> the rule
> > and the event would suffer if we changed our site fee policy. If
> that is the
> > case, and I certainly hope that it wouldn't be, the group
> would need to
> > decide which is more important, a few dollars or a great event.
> >
> > Respectfully,
> > -Gregoire.
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Elaine Cohen
> <elainec at comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > For what it's worth my impression was that a primary reason
> for the reduced
> > > fee for teachers and musicians for Terpsichore was an incentive
> to get
> > > non-local and/or non-SCA people to fill these rolls for this
> event.  A
> > > result of that non-local member talent is that we end up with a
> more diverse
> > > class list (which draws more people here) and a reputation for a
> fantastic
> > > dance band (which we have achieved).  We may want to keep that
> in mind if we
> > > make changes to the policy or craft a general policy for all
> Cynnabar
> > > events. We may have greater expectations that local members will
> work at
> > > events without such a discount, acting in the hosting roll.
> > >
> > > Alina

Randy Asplund
Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103