[Cynnabar] Terp History question

Elaine Cohen elainec at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 15:50:14 UTC 2011

Gregoire asks:

Can someone who has been around longer than I tell us whether or not teacher
and musicians have always been offered a waived site fee at Terpsichore? If
there were years when site fees were not waived, was the event less
successful? If the event was less successful is it because we didn't waive
site fees, or some other reason such as location or weather?

My recollection is that there were no reduced fees the first several
years.  When out of kingdom teachers inquired about it (and they always
do), I recall telling them that the group felt the event was not yet
large enough for the budget to support any such discounts.  I don't know
of any teacher who decided not to come (or not to teach) because of
this.  Once we started offering the discount, teachers have expressed
their appreciation for it.  I know a few teachers who have to figure out
their budgets very carefully, and those few dollars mean a lot to them.

This seems to come up most often with our friends from Ealdormere, and
perhaps it's a bit of their culture that has crept over the border.
Step Spritely is a dance event they have been putting on for a long time
(possibly longer than Terpsichore, though I'm not sure), and I don't
think I've ever had to pay a site fee there as a teacher.  I'm not sure
what they do at their other events.

I very much like the general policy Finn has suggested.

Alina