[Cynnabar] Terp and Musicians

Charles J. Cohen charles at eecs.umich.edu
Fri Sep 16 15:52:30 UTC 2011

An interesting thought occurred to me.

When Terpsichore first started, Cynnabar generously supported the event
by accepting that it would break even or lose money. While of course the
Shire would have been happy to have the event make a profit, the goal
was to support a fledging focused event on an Art that had only one
other similar event in the Kingdom (that was an 8+ hour drive away).

As the event grew and became more stable, the Barony and Event Stewards
realized that the event could also make a profit while still supporting
the activity, now that the seed had grown into a self sustainting, um,
tree.

I believe that musicians were comped for a similar reason, as an extra
draw to get them to an event so a critical mass could be achieved,
incentivising that activity.

I'm wondering now if the musician core has grown enough and is strong
enough to be self sustaining, and so waiving a site fee is no longer
required.

This is me thinking out loud. I honestly haven't come to any conclusions
yet.

- Midair