[Cynnabar] Comp teachers or lower site fee?

Monique Rio mrio at umich.edu
Fri Sep 16 17:34:43 UTC 2011

Just to be clear, I don't think that having a suggested donation and
having events make money are mutually exclusive concepts. It just
depends on where you set that suggested donation at. You can set it so
that you will probably make money, but not too much.

The problem with just passing the hat is no one knows what's
appropriate. Is $5 enough? $10? $20? What's my neighbor putting in the
basket?

I'd like to think that if people knew what the minimum amount was to
do their part, they'd put in that and maybe a bit more. And I'm
perfectly OK with the minimum being set a bit higher than what's
absolutely necessary for that specific event, as long as the minimum
is still reasonable. Using Terp as an example, if the minimum was $7,
that'd be fine. $10 also fine. $25... would seem a bit steep given
past gate fees. I'd want to see some reasoning for $25, but might be
able to be convinced if I saw the budget.

-Jadzia