[Cynnabar] BoC Meeting Minutes for 12/10/12 meeting and Officer Report night (part 2)

Cynnabar Seneschal boc.seneschal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 03:51:24 UTC 2012

Meeting minutes? We've got 'em! Even if it's just for the 3 people who read
them.

-Finn

Seneschal

Event and Demo Reports

Ann Arbor Christian School Demo (Dec 6th) - Went well. Singers sang, dancers
danced and fighters fought.

Wassail (Dec. 8th)  - Good event! People ate, drank and had cookies, had fun
talking and playing games. Gate made $331 in "donations". The silent auction
on garage sale combined made $330 that will go towards improvement projects
for Cynnabar camp at Pennsic. There was also a canned food drive which even
though we had a short notice, it was enough to feed 15 to 20 people for a
day. There was one last minor budget item which was for $8.46 for wrapping
paper to cover boxes. Left over paper will be saved for next year. Due to
the small amount it was determined at the meeting that this would fall under
the Seneschal under $50 discretionary amount. The people at the meeting was
asked if anyone had any objection to reimbursing the $8.46. No one had any
problems. And at the event Kasha became our new A&S Champion! Hooba!

Upcoming Baronial Events and Demos

Cynnabar Holiday Gift Exchange (Dec. 17th)  - This will be in place of next
week's normal business meeting and will be IN GARB please. Rules were sent
out in a separate e-mail. If you want to participate in the gift exchange,
please bring a WRAPPED gift of around $10.

Terpsichore (April. 6th, 2013)  - No updates.

St. Cecilia at the Tower Event proposal (May 18th, 2013) - The shire of
Altenberg wants to host their Battle of the Inland Seas event on the same
day as St. Cecilia. After discussion, it was agreed that BotIS will not pull
any attendees away from St. Cecilia. [Post meeting:] Contacted our Event
Steward and also cleared with her ("Hi Jadzia!") as well. Sent e-mail to
Altenberg's seneschal letting them know we are OK with them having their
event on the same day as ours.

Old Business

Muslin for costume shop budget proposal - Mistress Millisant's costume shop
graciously lets us use their space for our garb workshops. In the past, we
have donated muslin (for making costume patterns) and it has been suggested
we should do another donation. This is a budget item proposal for spending
up to $150 on 44"-45" wide, 50 yard bolt of muslin. Finn has found an online
resource for a full 50yd. bolt for around $100 (+shipping). So the budget of
up to $150 was suggested to make sure shipping cost were covered. Everyone
still agrees this is a good thing to do. No objections. Budget approved.
Finn will order muslin and provide receipts to our Exchequer.

Fixing loaner leg armor (placeholder only, not under active discussion) -

New Business

Johannes reviewed the results of the Grand Tourney survey he did on Survey
Monkey. Good feedback that can go towards helping out this event in the
future. Suggestion to Johannes to find a way to make this information
readily available for other people to easily access. He already has ideas on
that and will look into it further.

12th night 2014 (Jan. 4th, 2014 tentative) - It is Cynnabar's turn to host
12th night in 2014 so we should start the process now. We need to find an
event steward, site and get it on the Kingdom calendar soon. It is normally
held on the 1st weekend of the new year, so Jan. 4th, 2014 is penciled in at
the moment. If you are interested in being the event steward, please see
Finn or bring up your interest at a business meeting soon.

Thrown Weapons practice (proposal) - It is being brought forth to the group
to officially sponsor a thrown weapons practice for the Barony. The
practices will be run by warranted thrown weapon marshals, however, we do
not need an "official group marshal" for us to sponsor/support these
practices. If Cynnabar agrees to support these practice, then they fall
under the normal rules (and legal protection) as other SCA practices that
are announced and supported be the group. Everyone at the meeting are good
with this idea. This then was the first of our 3-meeting discussion/approval
process.

UoM Student group - Birke brought up the topic of the UoM Student group as
we need to re-register with the University since UoM have recently updated
their student group registration system. This brings up that we need to have
at least 10 student members as part of the official campus organization.
Birke believes she can get ten students to sign (so we can reserve rooms).
However, they also need a constitution for the student group as well as a
picture for their profile page. For the constitution, Birke will send Finn a
sample/mock one from the U and he will modify it to fit more proper and send
back to Birke.  The picture is easy also. However, this does bring up that
we can be doing MORE to help recruit new student members. There was a lot of
talk about ways to do this, and it was agreed by all that this conversation
needs to continue and we need to take a much more active approach with the
letting students know we are here and to come have fun with us. The idea is
to go beyond the normal Northfeast/Festifall/Mass Meeting. But things like
putting up flyers about the Thursday night fencing or Sunday armored/fencing
practices.

Also, UoM has Winterfest, another student group drive on Jan. 15th from 4-8
PM. Unfortunately, there is limited space so the University will be having a
lottery the day of Winterfest to see which groups are allowed to have a
table/presence there. Birke will be looking to see if we can line up a few
people that would be ready to go to help man a demo-table. But we will not
know until like 3:15 PM that day. So basically, whoever is able to assist
(and ideally we are looking for a bit of the younger set to help as these
are students/student groups) would have to be ready to help, but may not be
able to do anything. Please be on the lookout for more info soon.

One of the other ideas is that to go along with some fliers, we can plan on
having a mini-mass meeting at one of the Thursday fencing practices. So we
can have people in garb as well as other items at tables to show whoever
stops by. Again, look for more info soon.

This is a topic that we, as a group need to keep in the forefront of our
minds. So if you have any ideas, please let Genoveva (your Chatelaine) or
Finn of Birke know.

Announcements

-          Next full business meeting is January 14th!

-          It is hot in here.

-          There will be an order placed soon for cedar arrow shafts. Look
for an e-mail soon if you want to get in on the order.

-          Baron David has finished his "Eli at the Bridge" painting and is
making posters of them. He had is first one at the meeting to show folks and
it looks great.

-

Officer Repots (normally done on 4th Tuesday of each month)

Exchequer (Vincent) -Vincent's term of office is expiring March of 2013. If
you are interested in taking over as Exchequer, please see Vincent or your
Seneschal (Finn).

Webminister (Aaron) -

Fencing Marshal (Galen) - Gave at last meeting.

MoAS (Arin) - Gave at last meeting.

Mo Youth (Ceara) - Gave at last meeting.

Chatelaine (Genoveva) - Gave at last meeting.

Chronicler (Ermenrich) -

Herald (Simcha) - Has spoon trick! Also has her report ready to submit.
Simcha is looking to step down from her Baronial Herald position (because
she is stepping up to Regional in June!). Johannes is her current deputy and
is willing to step up. However, if there is anyone else interested in the
position, please let Simcha or Finn know. The plan is to turn over her
Baronial office at Terp, so there is at least till the end of February
before anyone needs to make up their minds and submit their interst. Also,
Simcha is willing to host Herald nights (first Monday of every month) at her
house if the next officer does not have a place to host themselves.

Knight Marshal (Jason) - Not much new. Domesday submitted. We have
serviceable loaner gear. No practice until Jan 6th.

Archery Marshal (Godaeth) - Gave at last meeting.

Seneschal (Finn) - Gave at last meeting.

Baron and Baroness (Hanna and Tairdelbach) - Gave at last meeting.