[Cynnabar] BoC - Settlement funding discussion

Randy Asplund randyasplund at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 16:30:58 UTC 2012

To make a fair decision in the amount of time given, it sounds like
the only manageable way without a meeting before the deadline is to
have someone make up a poll and ask the members for a vote via the
poll. It should explain exactly what the money will be used for and
under what circumstances it may be paid back. If we don't do at least
that much, then it is a financial decision affecting all but being
made by a few.

We've been blind-sided by this with no time to meet and make an
informed decision. That is "unfortunate," but this is what we've been
given, so let's deal with it with as much foresight and fairness as
possible in the amount of time given. I would suggest that if we
cannot do this, then the default should be to comply only with what
has been asked for. If we need to build the SCA with more money
afterwards, then we can still decide to add more funds after we know
more about what they will be used for.

RanthulfR

On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:15 AM, Cynnabar Seneschal wrote:

> Greetings unto the members of Cynnabar.
>
> As I’m sure most, if not all, of you are aware, there has been a
> settlement of the lawsuit against the SCA finally. In the end, in
> order to meet with the settlement, the SCA Inc. is requiring all
> Kingdoms to contribute 18% of their cash assets. This goes down to
> the individual group (shire, barony) level. So Cynnabar must
> contribute 18% of our cash assets to Kingdom which will contribute
> it to the Society level. This must be done by this weekend (2/11/12)
> and we will be planning on handing a check at Val Day directly to
> the Kingdom Exchequer.
>
> As far as what is our cash assets, it is only our checking account
> that falls into that category, so it makes calculations easy (we
> have no CDs or any other liquid assets to worry about). Now, here
> comes the fun part…
>
> The 18% calculation is based on the 2010 Doomsday. Our 12/31/2010
> balance is $1840.36 which 18% is $331.26.
> However our 2011 balance as of 12/31/2011 is $6447.15, which 18% is
> $1160.49
> So our required obligation is only $331.26.
>
> First, the question of should Cynnabar contribute more to help the
> Kingdom and SCA in this settlement case?  There are some things to
> keep in mind when considering this:
> -          This is a (hopefully) one time situation and the decision
> must be made before this weekend. We do not have any meetings before
> hand so all discussions will be done on-line or in individual phone
> calls.
> -          We have already budgeted $600 to Kingdom (for the shade
> fly and travel funds). This was done before the settlement
> announcement. So we are already have funds earmarked for Kingdom.
> -          If we contribute more than the 18%, how much more should
> we?
>
> Second, some individuals have also expressed interest in
> contributing to the settlement funds. There is an investigation
> going on right now as the best way to make that happen. As soon as
> there is more information on how this can happen, we’ll let people
> know.
>
> I feel that we should try to keep these transactions as simple as
> possible. Therefore I suggest that:
> 1.       We determine what amount we will contribute to the
> settlement by this weekend and that’s what we send as far as monies
> that go directly to the settlement.
> 2.       Individual contributions to the settlement should be made
> directly to Kingdom/SCA (method TBD).
> 3.       Any fundraisers or means to replenish the funds will be
> done as “normal” Baronial fundraisers and not tied into the
> settlement. We can always know why we are doing the fundraiser, but
> it keeps the records and financial books a lot cleaner. We can
> always tithe these monies directly to the Kingdom later to help
> replenish our Kingdom’s coffers.
>
> I think that if we follow the above three guidelines, it will keep
> [...]

Randy Asplund
Facebook: "Randy Asplund, Artist"
www.RandyAsplund.com
Maker of Medieval books and
Illustrator of Science Fiction & Fantasy
(734) 663-0954
2101 S. Circle Dr. Ann Arbor, MI 48103