[Cynnabar] BoC - Settlement funding discussion

Dennis Higgins mortisfan at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 23:16:39 UTC 2012

(My populace hat on right now.)

Perhaps this will help with some perspective on numbers.

If we contribute $1200 to the settlement/Kingdom coffer replenishment (our
2011 18% $1160.49 rounded up to an even number) and the $300 we have already
approved for the shade fly and the $300 we already approved for TRH travel
fund, we still have over $4600 in our account. We can be generous and we
still have a surplus.

Is anyone denying that there is a need right now to help out the SCA? Bare
minimum of our required obligation seems inadequate to me in our
organizations time of need. While intellectually I understand that desire to
go thru our normal discussion process for funding decisions, in this special
circumstance, I don't understand the hesitation or reluctance to just step
up to the plate and just be generous now, this week. We have the capability.
We have the resources and still have a good surplus. We have events and
ideas for more fundraisers that will more than cover this. I've seen a lot
of questions as to what happens if, and how does "x" happen if "y". To me
the question is why shouldn't we help out the SCA right now. So many other
groups are not even hesitating over this. Other (international) Kingdoms not
required to help out are stepping up and sending in money. If we held our
normal 3 meeting discussion is there really any doubt that the overwhelming
majority will approve contributing more than our bare minimum obligation?

We have enough members of Cynnabar active on this list where it should be
clear to what the group wants to do. I say lets help out now, this week.
Give generously as we can. Trust the people in charge will do the right
thing and put the money to best use. And support the Society we all know and
love.

-Finn