[Cynnabar] BoC - Settlement funding discussion

Monique Rio mrio at umich.edu
Tue Feb 7 23:47:58 UTC 2012

I am firmly in the "give the minimum now, and intend to give more later" camp.

First, it's a BIG RED FLAG that we're being told to give 18% of our
2010 money without enough notice for us to have even one business
meeting to discuss it. That alone indicates caution.

Second, the only difference between giving money now and giving money
in a month is that we LOOK more generous now. APPEARING generous now
means sacrificing the discussion policy, and there's no utilitarian
gain by doing this. No one is actually helped more by us giving
without discussing first. What it does do is set a bad precedent:

1) We're telling the group that we're OK with throwing away our policy
when someone urgently asks for money.

2) We're telling Kingdom and Corporate that it's OK to spring
mandatory payments without a month's notice. DUDE that's not cool. If
they'd told us a month in advance we could have, within policy,
decided as a group to give them more money at the given time.

3) We're also telling them we're happy with the status quo, which some
of you may be, but I'm not. Among other things, I'd rather have our
kingdom be insulated from stupid people in other kingdoms.

I for one would much rather have Cynnabar appear miserly on Saturday,
and have given generously and wisely come Pennsic.

Is that crazy?

-Jadzia