[Cynnabar] settlement

rufquad at comcast.net rufquad at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 15:07:58 UTC 2012

After rereading all of the posts on both the Cynnabar and Pelican lists and much thought, I have decided to put my trust in Baronial, Kingdom and Society leadership to determine an appropriate course of action. The Royal Family has requested that local groups either a) give 18% of cash assets based on the 2010 end of year report OR b) give more if they can or c) give what they can without compromising the groups' plans and obligations. Our Baron and Baroness have spoken out in support of giving 18% of our 2011 end of year cash assets. Our in-coming Kingdom Seneschal (who is also a former local and kingdom exchequer, if I'm not mistaken), Baronial Seneschal and others that I look to for guidance and leadership have all spoken out in favor of this approach as well.

To that end I support:
1) Giving $1200 to the Society via the Middle Kingdom toward helping with the settlement. I believe that the risk of the SCA not being able to meet the legal obligation constitutes an emergency. In this instance I would far rather give more than required than to find out in a week or two that we - because to me this is undeniably a "we" not an "us and them" - could not meet that obligation and are, therefore, incurring additional legal expenses and/or fines.
2) At the same time giving the $600 already earmarked for donation to the kingdom, which will ease the more personal burden of our Kingdom and Royal Family.
3) Figuring out ways to recoup the money donated as quickly as possible so that if our neighbors, Kingdom, Royal Family or Society need our support we are able to give it.

Margarete