[Cynnabar] Thank you

deforest piper darnpiper at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 16:05:10 UTC 2012

I'd like to second this. What is happening here is important. Our discussion is important, what is happening on the SCA Inc. level is important. Important for our hobby and important for Cynnabar. Also, important for me as someone who loves this curious thing we do.

We are all taking time from somewhere else to read these emails, and write these emails, and think about the issues discussed. That shows we all care about these issues.

I have not mentioned my opinion on this issues yet mainly because it would be to repeat what has been said by others. I see no reason why we should not give the $1200. We are expected to give the 18% amount -- and no one seems to have a problem with this.

For many the problems with giving the $1200 amount seems to come down to one of transparency. As in so many of the things that the SCA Inc. does we are asked to make decisions blind. How is the Middle Kingdom doing raising their required 18%? This could only be a projection at this time, but that is really pretty easy to make. What about the other Kingdoms? What will the SCA Inc. do with any extra monies raised? Do we want to contribute to that? The SCA Inc. is involved in suing the delinquent insurance companies, will there be a need for more monies in the future to deal with this? Do we want to give extra money now if we may be asked to give more in the future?

The fact that these are very easy questions to answer, and that they have not been answered seems to me to be problematic. I would really, really like the answers to some of these questions. Without the answers how can we make informed decisions about what to do with our money?

We can't. That's how. But there are other ways of making decisions. If we can't make an informed decision we can make a courteous decision. If we can't make an informed decision we can make a generous decision. If we can't make an informed decision we can make an honorable decision.

We can make a grand decision.

These types of decisions are why I think we should give the $1200.

I readily  understand anyone's hesitancy though and support whatever decision we make as a group. These are important questions that need answers.

DeForest

PS. Finn, thank you so much for doing your seneschal thing at this time. You are being asked to go above and beyond and you are. Thanks.