[Cynnabar] Upcoming Events with A&S Components

Carol Perry Lagemann carolanneperry at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 15:33:41 CST 2013

Dear Cynnabar,

There are several events in the next few months that will have A&S classes,
competitions, and activities. I encourage everyone to encourage A&S and
represent Cynnabar (and hopefully learn something, too!) by participating.

Here are some easy things that you can do:

   - When you arrive at an event, look at the class schedule. Choose one
   class to attend. Thank the instructor afterward. Better yet, ask a
   question. :3
   - Go to the dance. If you don't know any dances, ask someone nearby to
   teach you the easiest dance in the set.
   - Go to the bardic performance or the concert for at least a little
   while. For each piece, choose something to listen/watch for (e.g., "How
   does this performer use her hands to enhance what she's saying?" or "I'm
   going to see if I can figure out how many times the main theme repeats".)
   - Vote in a bean-count style A&S competition.
   - As you eat feast, pay attention to the food. Where/when do these foods
   come from? Which foods do you think would take a lot of skill to prepare?
   If you are especially impressed by something, be sure to let the cook know.
   - Before you go to an event, check the website to see if it has an A&S
   display or competition. If it does, and if a project you've completed
   recently would be eligible, take it with you.

In Service,
Kasha Alekseeva

*Upcoming Events with A&S Components*

*January 12*

   - A Tudor Frost Fair – Barony of the Cleftlands (Medina, OH)
      - A&S classes
      - A&S display and bean-count style competition
      - Bardic performance – “Magic Carpet Kavehane”
      - Dancing
      - Fiber arts open house – “The Needle Nook”
   - 12th Night and Baronial Artisan Competition – Shire of Havenholde
   (Urbana, OH)
      - A&S classes
      - Bardic performance
      - Baronial Artisan Competition
      - Feast
   - Twelfth Night in the Black Forest – Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL) *I'm
   planning to attend
   - A&S challenge – “Hohenstaufen Arms in Any Medium”
      - A&S challenge – “Times Are Tough”
      - A&S classes
      - Bardic performance (possibly?)
      - Craftperson’s Faire
         - A&S competition – bean-count style
         - A&S display
         - Prize for Best German-Themed Entry
      - Dancing
      - Feast
      - Laurel Prize – prizes for:
         - Most awesome German garb from any time period
         - Best performance piece
         - A prize for the thing that, if it were dropped into its correct
         time and place in history, would attract the least notice
because it just
         fits in
         - Best scroll blank inspired by a 12th- or 13th-century German
         manuscript
         - That entry which reflects the most knowledge of animal husbandry
         - A ten-minute lecture on some topic taught at Naples or another
         real medieval university
         - Best scribal entry
      - Musical performance

*January 19*

   - Middle Marches Twelfth Night – Barony of Middle Marches (Hilliard, OH)
      - A&S competition
      - Cooking tournament
      - Dancing
   - Winter Revel – Barony of Andelcrag (Ionia, MI)
      - Bardic performance
      - Brewing competition
      - Dancing
      - Feast
   - Winter Revel – Shire of Rivenvale (Youngstown, OH)
      - Bardic performance (possibly?)
      - Dancing (possibly?)
      - Musical performance (possibly?)

*January 19-20*

   - Festival of Maidens – Shire of Wurm Wald (Urbana, IL)
      - A&S classes
      - Bead Rescue Project
      - Clothiers Meet & Greet
      - Dancing
      - Feast
      - Maidens Music Guild practice
      - Mock A&S Competition
      - Musical performance
      - Yarn Arts Meet & Greet

*February 9*

   - The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre – Canton of Three Hills (Kalamazoo,
   MI)
      - A&S classes
      - A&S display
      - A&S-themed day camps
      - Dancing
      - Fashion show

*February 16*

   - Herald’s Point and Scribal Collegium – Canton of Weldlake (Howell, MI)
      - A&S classes
      - A&S heraldic and scribal display
   - Masque of Courtly Love – Marche of Alderford (North Canton, OH)
      - Possible A&S activities

*
February 16-17*

   - Better War Through Archery and Constellation Regional A&S – Barony of
   Sternfeld (Danville, IN)
      - A&S classes
      - Constellation Regional Arts and Sciences Faire
      - Feast

*February 23*

   - Ayreton Carnivale – Barony of Ayreton (Des Plaines, IL)
      - Possible A&S activities

*March 2*

   - Midlands Regional A&S Fair – St. Carol on the Moor (Effingham, IL)
      - Midlands Regional Arts and Sciences Fair
      - Other A&S activities (possibly?)
      - North Oaken Regional Academy of Defense – Marche of the Thistle
   (Dalton, OH)
      - Possible A&S activities

*March 23*

   - Grand Tournament of the Unicorn – Marche of the Unicorn (Oxford, OH)
      - Possible A&S activities
   - Stone Dog IX – Canton of Grey Gargoyles (Chicago, IL)
      - Possible A&S activities

*March 30*

   - Rogues Day – Shire of Swordcliff (Chatham, IL)
      - Possible A&S activities
   - Winter’s End – Barony of Fenix (Cincinnati, OH)
      - Possible A&S activities

I will let you know more information as I find it out.